Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital cameras compatible with OS 10.13.2

I have to send a photograph to get an estimate. I have many cameras, so I thought that would be no problem. Now I'm finding that I might have to buy a more up-to-date camera to do the job. Here are my cameras that are apparently NOT compatible with OS 10.13.2:

(1) Canon Powershot A520

(2) Nikon Coolpix L6

(3) Sony Cybershot DSC-WX50

(4) Nokia Lumnia 635 cellphone

I'm posting here because I may be wrong, at least I hope so. Maybe at least one of my cameras IS compatible with OS 10.13.2, and maybe someone here knows that to be a fact. On the the hand, Apple just sent me a list of supposedly ALL digital cameras that are compatible with OS 10.13.2, and none of my cameras is on this list. Here's their list: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

If Apple is correct, this must be a big, continuing problem with camera fans. Could it be that there are ways to work-around this compatibility problem?

Safari 11.0.1-OTHER

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1:30 PM

69 replies

Dec 18, 2017 4:22 PM in response to Niku

Many of the card readers I've seen leave the card sticking out a little so that you can pull it out again. If you look at the bottom picture on the Amazon page you linked to, you'll see what I mean.

You shouldn't need to do anything other than plug the reader in, and insert the card. It should appear as a removable drive in the Finder. In the Finder, go to the Finder menu, Preferences>General and make sure that you have External Disks checked. You can drag the pictures from the card to the computer.

You could also launch either Photos or Image Capture. The card should appear in the sidebar in either one.

See this article for more detailed instructions:

Import photos from hard disks, DVDs, and other devices using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2017 3:20 PM in response to Niku

DON'T BELIEVE THE NAYSAYERS. Sony told me I couldn't do it. Apple (the first time) told me I couldn't do it. Various websites told me I couldn't do it, but I just downloaded photos from my Sony into my iMac, and I'm now getting ready to send my first photo of today's pictures by E-mail. You can just toss Apple's list of compatible cameras into the trash can .

Furthermore, the man I talked to today at Apple said that there is no problem downloading photos from most (all?) digital cameras. Well, he was right with my unlisted Sony. Now I'm going to see if the process is as easy with the rest of my cameras. Do others agree with my conclusion?

Dec 14, 2017 3:40 PM in response to stedman1

Nice of you to defend Apple, but you're wrong. Who do you think gave me that list, and why did she give it to me? I had explained my difficulties. We had discussed them at length. Finally, she dug up that list as the capper to our discussion. I'm not criticizing her, but... Oh, hey, I think I remember your name. I have nothing more to say. I don't like to engage in catfights. Anyway, all is now okay. The only thing remaining is for me to see if I can do the same thing with all of my cameras.

Dec 14, 2017 3:53 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I hadn't seen any of the remarks when I posted the results of my efforts. I'm just getting started with SpamSieve, and it looks like it needs a little fine-tuning. To make matters worse, my first reply to you went into the ether. Anyway, everything is now okay. It worked with my Sony, and now I'm going to see if I can obtain the same results with all of my cameras. Nikon will be interesting. The man at Nikon I talked to checked and he learned that talks are currently underway between Nikon and Apple about this subject. [Imagine that!!] This was confirmed by other sources I saw. However, my experience with my Sony taught me to try anyway, and I will.

Dec 14, 2017 3:57 PM in response to Niku

You're a bit confused.

Every camera shoots Jpeg photos. And your Mac will therefore work with just about every camera there is.

Some cameras also shoot raw formats. Support for these has to be added on a camera-by-camera basis. That is what the list refers to.

None of the cameras you mention shoot raw, so the whole thing is irrelevant.

Dec 15, 2017 6:10 AM in response to Yer_Man

I guess my Nikon camera is also "confused" and "irrelevant" because it won't download photos into my iMac. Later today I'll see how far this "confusion" and "irrelevancy" has spread when I try the remaining cameras. Here's what Nikon has to say about the subject of compatibility: https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000038388&configured=1& lang=en_SG . Looks like they're confused to me.

Dec 15, 2017 6:24 AM in response to dialabrain

My point is that I want to download photos from my cameras into my iMac, and I don't find it helpful to keep being told that I am confused and that my thoughts are irrelevant. I had thought that seeing what Nikon has to say about the subject might be an educational moment for you, but I underestimated your need to ridicule. You can have the last word,since that seems to be so important to you. I won't comment further. You'd delete it anyway.

Dec 15, 2017 7:12 AM in response to Niku

How are you transferring photos from the camera? Nikon's NX-i v 1.2.10 photo management software (and Nikon Transfer 2) have the below note on their website. I've confirmed this for Sierra, and I assume it also applies to HS. I've been able to copy images using Finder.

Users of macOS Sierra cannot use Nikon Transfer 2 to copy pictures from memory cards installed in a card reader or card slot. Copy pictures using the Finder or Image Capture.

Digital cameras compatible with OS 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.