Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages.app vertical centered

Is there any way to vertically again text on a page without inserting a text box that is the size of the page?

(The Vertical alignment buttons are greyed out unless the text is in a text box.) In other apps this would be in page formatting not text.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.5), 15" 2016 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 10:00 AM

Yes, Okay everything is easy all the time. No better way to do anything, ever.

So the answer to the original question is: "NO", you must always create a TextBox the size of the page to center text in the middle of the page. Also, remember to never print the automatic second page.

14 replies

Dec 14, 2017 12:48 PM in response to markfromlandolakes

Free standing text cannot be centered in the document without a surrounding text box, as a vector image (or PDF), or Spacing set to exact, and roughly 400 pt Spacing. The latter would be disruptive to any preceding content that was not in a container so it could float over the text Spacing, and its text wrap set to none.

Even LibreOffice Writer, an actual Word clone, does not offer document page centering controls for text, only paragraph centering.

Dec 15, 2017 11:07 AM in response to markfromlandolakes

There is no "automatic second page" it is just the way you have done it with text wrap on your objects. Turn that off.

Layout mode in Word is quite similar to Pages' Layout, you are dealing with objects on the page. Once you have objects, you have vertical centre. Same in Indesign.

If you are not familiar with any of the programs they are equally as difficult. At least Pages has neatly ordered menus. Word I find to be a mess.

Peter

Dec 15, 2017 11:25 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

With a vanilla setup, pages-new document, if you then click on text box and make it the size of the page. (This way you don't have to center it), a second page is created. If before you did this you "converted to a Page Layout document" under the document tab, you do not have the problem (I assume "pages" layout mode is even more like Word's layout mode than "pages" is, in its regular mode.); yet another step in simply centering text on a page.

In general, I do agree with you, pages is a lot more intuitive to most people. If one has not used either word or pages, pages is a better choice to get a job done quickly. (InDesign for most people would be overkill.)

Dec 15, 2017 11:55 AM in response to markfromlandolakes

That is because you have Textwrap on the Textbox as I explained. Just turn it off in:

Sidebar > Arrange > Textwrap > None

You don't need a Textbox either. Clicking in any shape also adds text to that object as I demonstrated.

No App is really "intuitive", you always need to know something, and there are catches as well. Pages automatically applies Textwrap to all new objects and you can't have that off by default in Pages 5 and 6. In Pages '09 you can change the default and also have a style that has it turned off. The best you can do in Pages 5 & 6 is turn it off one object, then duplicate that.

Indesign really annoyed me, still does, having come from Quark Xpress, particularly with the weird way it works with Master Pages and its relatively badly organised keyboard shortcuts. But Pagemaker/Indesign users hate Quark Xpress. It all comes down to how you think and there is a sharp divide between the two approaches. I prefer logical, and discoverable.

Pages '09 has one of the best examples of top down to detail UI interfaces of any App ever. Once you understand that it is pretty easy sailing. Pages 5 & 6 are far less well organised and have a UI that wastes huge amounts of your precious screen space.

The one thing I do love Pages 6.3.1 for is the snap to align which is absolutely the best ever. Beats the pants off Adobe's inaccurate, unreliable and perpetually annoying efforts. I actually do logo and graphic construction in Pages, even though it isn't designed for it, for that one reason. I prefer it over Illustrator and Affinity Designer.

Peter

Dec 15, 2017 12:13 PM in response to markfromlandolakes

By the way dragging an object to roughly the middle of your page will show centre lines to the page and the object will snap to those. Something that makes Word look like a donkey in comparison.

Word is an advanced Word Processor, with some DTP bolted on as an after thought.

Pages really integrates DTP and Word Processing and has good looking Shapes, Tables, Charts and Media, plus its placeholder and auto-fitting of objects make layout very fast once you get what it is doing.

Pages makes Word results look dull and uninteresting. Compare finished documents and the templates for the chalk and cheese comparison.

Peter

Pages.app vertical centered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.