Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop folder font color

With High Sierra the desktop volume label font color is white. Is there a way to change the color of the font? I can't find a preference setting for it. Is there a preference file, terminal command or preference com.apple... file to change? The color was black before (10.11 or 10.12?).

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 8:01 AM

I thought the color wasn't chaneable. The issue is that it's white on fog gray sky, so it's almost invisible when a few versions ago it was black. And it's strange Apple doesn't give users control over something so simple for the desktop since there has to be some (plist file?) somewhere which sets the font, size and color. It's not rocket science.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 8:01 AM in response to wsrphoto

I thought the color wasn't chaneable. The issue is that it's white on fog gray sky, so it's almost invisible when a few versions ago it was black. And it's strange Apple doesn't give users control over something so simple for the desktop since there has to be some (plist file?) somewhere which sets the font, size and color. It's not rocket science.

Dec 15, 2017 9:43 AM in response to wsrphoto

They only way you will get black text with folders is in Icon view inside a Finder window. There is no solution to set the text of Desktop folder icons to black. Been that way for years, with plenty of frustrated posts on the Internet and here.

What I do to improve on this situation is to use a darker image as wall paper, and in System Preferences : Displays : Color tab, I pick a different display profile to improve the contrast and apparent sharpness of the folder font. You may have to uncheck Show Profiles for this display only to allow a wider selection. You might also consider clicking on the Desktop, and pressing command+J (Show View Options), and bumping up the Desktop font size to 13 - 14 pt.

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 8:52 AM in response to wsrphoto

FWIW, the text for labels on the desktop has been white since at least Snow Leopard. What did change is the shadow behind the text used to be nearly black. Now it's much lighter which makes it hard to see on light backgrounds. There was a way to change the label color in the past but that was removed after OS X 10.8.

As far as "rocket science", no it isn't but it's what Apple chose to do.

You can always suggest changes here…

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Dec 15, 2017 10:38 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks. I keep the monitor color calibrated for photography work, so I don't make any adjustments to it. I keep a photo background which minimizes visual conflict with app displays. I'm ok with the folder and font size, and I'll continue to live with the color. I was curious if it was adjustable. Bad idea for Apple not to have that a user preference in the "view options" for desktop folders.

desktop folder font color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.