Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: ringtone doesn't work

I have a custom ringtone I created about 8 years ago. I've used it for the 8 years without a problem. It stopped ringing when I updated to the iOS version 11.

I had hoped that by updating to 11.1 the problem would be fixed but it didn't. I just downloaded 11.2.1 and that didn't help either.

It should be noted that the ringtone shows on the phone on "Sounds" under "Sounds and Vibration Patterns" and that when you click on it, it makes the sound.

I have clicked on "download all purchased tones", that hasn't helped.

Here is the info from the ringtone file:

Purchased: 2009

Fairplay version: 2

encoded with: iTunes 8.2.1, QuickTimes 7.6.2

Profile: Low complexity

Channels: stereo

Size: 1.1MB

Suggestions? Thx

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1.2, None

Posted on

Dec 14, 2017 5:13 PM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

The instruction you provided didn't seem to work for me:

Remove tones using iTunes 12.7 or later

1. Connect your iOS device to iTunes.
  2. Select it using the icon that appears next to the media selection drop down tool.
  3. Change to manual management if necessary on the Summary tab.
  4. Select and delete unwanted tones from On My Device > Tones.
  5. Switch back to syncing with selected content if desired.

Step 3 isn't clear and it doesn't seem possible in my version of iTunes 12.7 for Mac (latest). Anyhow, I googled ways to delete the ringtone and tried 3 of them. I wasn't able to remove the ringtone after following instructions. Can you please provide an updated way to remove the ringtone? Thx

Dec 14, 2017 5:13 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 2:24 AM in response to al2012xxx In response to al2012xxx

If you normally sync your device then I think you'll need to tick the option to Manually manage music and video on the device's summary tab as suggested in step 3. Apply, remove the tones again, refresh the view to make sure they have gone, then go back and untick Manually manage...

tt2

Dec 15, 2017 2:24 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 8:42 AM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

I should add:

I was able to remove the tone from iTunes: On My Devices > Tones... press delete and it went away, but after syncing, the tone remained in my phone.

I've did the "manual..." didn't work, and remember, the tone is gone from iTunes, it doesn't show on MyDevices... so there is nothing to "remove again"

Dec 15, 2017 8:42 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: al2012xxx

Question: ringtone doesn't work