Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme bricked by firmware 7.6.9

I started the update of my Airport Extreme from 7.6.8 to 7.6.9 this morning. It never came back online.

the light burns a constant orange, does not blink.

if I power it off and on, the green light comes on for a second, the port lights flash once, then the orange light comes on and stays on.

I tried resetting it by pressing the reset button. Short, long, power on, power off an back on while keeping the reset button depressed. No joy, same result.

Anyone else on here with the same experience? Or anyone that knows how to fix it?

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1:39 PM

8 replies

Dec 15, 2017 3:24 AM in response to erichwk

FWIW The same happened to me - an Airport Time Capsule 4th gen.

My symptoms were that the light was completely off (though it was powering; HDD noise).

After trying a soft reset and hard reset as per How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support , nothing changed.

After trying a factory default reset, I got into your situation - the light stays light on amber. No blinking, no green.

The LAN ports do not blink even once.

I also have another Airport - the latest Express - which I simply do not want to upgrade.

Dec 14, 2017 10:07 PM in response to erichwk

What model is your Extreme.. ??

The fact you are using 7.6.8 means it is a Gen5 5 years old or more.. perhaps even earlier .. and perhaps much much earlier. Like a Gen1 and is now 10 years old.

A failed firmware install is not repairable by any means at your disposal. And would not be worth it for a 5 year old router anyway. It is Time for a new one.

light burns a constant orange, does not blink.

Unit has failed to complete boot due to an error. To find the error you would need to solder in a serial console.. not really helpful. You have done all the right things to get it going.. I would leave it off for a day at least.. and try factory reset again first time you start it up.. if it fails.. sorry Time is up.

Dec 14, 2017 4:04 PM in response to gmagstar

This time the firmware updated .... only ... my folder full of ALL my client files is GONE. The folder is there. It is just empty.

Firmware update will not affect files on Time Capsule disk or USB disk plugged into an Extreme.

If the later you can easily plug it into a computer and see if the files are really gone.. or it is merely Sierra / High Sierra.. playing funny permissions games which is now COMMON.

If this is a time capsule and you are running Sierra or High Sierra on the computer.. it is much more complicated.. you need to pull the drive from the TC and use a SATA to USB adapter or enclosure and then plug it into the computer..

However I did find a fix if it is merely permissions.

Tell me exactly what you are doing.

What airport.. actual model number?

If USB plugged into Extreme.. have you plugged the USB into the computer??

What OS is on the computer?

How did you create the folder? And how long have the files been sitting on it?

How are you protecting the files on the Airport? Do you have device or disk password?? Or much worse username and passwords for users?

Why don't you have backups for client files to say nothing of your own?? (you don't have to answer this.. but you should rap yourself across the knuckles)

Dec 15, 2017 2:47 AM in response to erichwk

I do also have a couple of Gen5 .. I have so far only updated one.. which went OK but the oldest ones do seem to be getting flakey.

One thing that is worth a go.. if you have a 2A or greater 12-15v power supply.. standard 2.5mm DC tip.

Plug that in and try it.. Power supplies do NOT last forever.. and even though Apple ones are very good quality.. batches can be bad.. I think some of the earlier ones are better than Gen5.. even if they look identical. Apple also swap manufacturer .. and some brands are better than others.. e.g. The one I am looking at is a Delta EADP-20BB The model no is A1202

Delta tends to be a good brand and I like their stuff. If you can post the details from the side of the power supply and I will check others I have and see if they are all the same.

Dec 15, 2017 3:48 AM in response to andreineculau

FWIW The same happened to me - an Airport Time Capsule 4th gen.

The TC gen4 is equivalent to AE gen5 but has a very well known soldering fault.

I think the firmware update might simply have triggered it.. but the fault is much more serious in one way but easy to fix.. you oven bake it.

See the Gen4 A1409 issues - LaPastenague

My symptoms were that the light was completely off (though it was powering; HDD noise).

That is actually classic symptom of a board with solder issues.

The front LED will sometimes come on and sometimes not.. but the issue is still the same.

Whether a board bakeout would fix a Gen5 AE I really have no idea.. but if it is really gone there is no harm trying.

The main thing is to remove all the plastic parts that cannot withstand the high temperature.. and the battery.

Airport extreme bricked by firmware 7.6.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.