Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Populating dropdown with database

Hi, I'm new to Numbers (But have worked in Excel many years ago).
I have a database with various stuff in it. I want to have an input column with dropdowns that is populated with values (or text) from the database (In a certain order). How can I do that the easiest way?
Many thanks//O

null-OTHER, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:27 AM

If I understand you correctly, you could format the cells as Pop-Up Menu. An easy way to set up Pop-Up menus is a certain order is to list the values in cells. Then select those cells, and choose Pop-Up Menu as the data format.

For example, if you want the list to be A, Z, B, T you would do this:

User uploaded file

That gives you this in the Pop-Up Menu in each cell:

User uploaded file

You can add-subtract and edit the items in the list here in the panel at the right:

User uploaded file

Once you have the Pop-Up Menu the way you like it you can copy-paste the cell containing it to wherever you want it in your table. Select it, command-c to copy, select multiple cells in the column where you want it, and command-v to paste.

SG

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 12:27 AM in response to OscarFogel

If I understand you correctly, you could format the cells as Pop-Up Menu. An easy way to set up Pop-Up menus is a certain order is to list the values in cells. Then select those cells, and choose Pop-Up Menu as the data format.

For example, if you want the list to be A, Z, B, T you would do this:

User uploaded file

That gives you this in the Pop-Up Menu in each cell:

User uploaded file

You can add-subtract and edit the items in the list here in the panel at the right:

User uploaded file

Once you have the Pop-Up Menu the way you like it you can copy-paste the cell containing it to wherever you want it in your table. Select it, command-c to copy, select multiple cells in the column where you want it, and command-v to paste.

SG

Dec 15, 2017 4:35 AM in response to OscarFogel

Hi Oscar,

You could use a nested IF formula, but that will become convoluted and difficult to diagnose when it gets long.

I suggest the VLOOKUP function to search another table.

User uploaded file

Column B in Table 1 has Pop-Up Menus

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Formula in Table 1 C2 (and Fill Down)

=IF(B2="Choose a value","",VLOOKUP(B2,Lookup Table::A:B,2,0))

User uploaded file

If the Pop-Up Menu shows the first item (Choose a value) then insert "" (NULL).

Else

find a match in the Lookup Table with the formula VLOOKUP(B2,Lookup Table::A:B,2,0)

Regards,

Ian.

Edit: Oscar and SG replied while I was composing my reply. Please ignore if I missed the point. Ian.

Dec 15, 2017 4:31 AM in response to OscarFogel

If you transpose your data table so it looks like this...

User uploaded file

... then you can use the power of filters built into the Numbers interface. To display the companies with 200 outlets all you have to do is this:

User uploaded file

Giving you this:

User uploaded file

You can easily do more sophisticated filters (>200, <200, etc) in the panel at the right.

User uploaded file

Transposing your data to take advantage of filters is easy. Click in your table and choose Table > Transpose Tables and Columns from your menu.

SG

Dec 15, 2017 12:27 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks! Yeah, I actually was able to sort it out anyway. But I do have another question:
Is it possible to only have the "different" options in the dropdown, i.e. in the data table I have let's say 20 columns with different values. Some of the columns have the same value. some thing like this: 200, 200, 150, 15, 100, 200, 150...
In this scenario, is it possible to have the dropdown look like this: "200, 150, 100, 15"?

I am thinking I need to sort them first in some other cell?

Thanks!!

//O

Dec 15, 2017 3:53 AM in response to SGIII

Ok, so another question:) (I have been googling and checking tutorials...)

So, let's assume someone chooses "200" in the drop down. How can I "print" the "names" of the columns that has that value in their datasets?

IF B2=200; A2, A3, A7; "Empty"
IF B2= 150; A4, A8 etc.....

is there an easier way?

(EDIT, that didn't work)

What I am trying to do is a comparison chart. You choose what value you want from the dropdown, then in the "output" you get the names of all the columns that has that value

Populating dropdown with database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.