Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone asking for iCloud password frequently

About a week ago my iPhone started asking for my iCloud password two or three times a day. I Googled a fix and have tried several with no help. Here's what I've tried so far.

-Signed out of iCloud, restarted my phone and signed back in. It asked for the password again almost immediately.

-Reset my iPhone and restored from my back up. The problem persisted.

-Changed my iCloud password, still bugging me.

-Updated my iPhone to the latest OS version last night. I'm still being asked 3 or so times since then. However, when it asks now it doesnt show a notification on my settings app.

I don't know what else to do other than wipe the phone and start fresh. Which I really would like to avoid. This isn't happening on my iPad or MacBook.

I have an Apple Watch, I don't know if that could be a factor here. I will get a "Ding" and when I look its saying I need to enter my password on my iPhone. My watch also restored from a backup automatically when I reset my phone.

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1:23 PM

3 replies

Dec 16, 2017 7:30 PM in response to zinacef

I finally caved and just did a fresh install last night. So far, so good. What also pushed me to do a fresh install was my spotlight search was nearly useless for finding my apps. I decided with those two issues I'd just deal with the major annoyance and go ahead.

I doubt Apple will see this but, what about a restore option that doesnt actually use your back up? Instead it just has a "blue print" of what/where apps went, automatically re-download iTunes music/movies/tv files and podcasts that were there since the last backup. Maybe even use Keychain to automatically enter login info into apps for you. I spent what felt like an hour just moving apps around to get them in the familiar positions they were in before.

Dec 16, 2017 10:29 PM in response to CXK

I also just did a full restore to stop the daily prompt for iCloud password. I also had to manually sign out/sign in to iMessage as the activation after the restore was being a bit flaky. I totally agree on the need for a backup/restore option of the phones app and folder structure/layout so as to be much closer to your phone setup/preferences after a full restore than a blank slate 'set up as a new phone' status. Fingers crossed on the password pop-ups

iPhone asking for iCloud password frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.