Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My bluetooth connection AND usb bus cycles on and off after 30 minutes on my mini/high sierra

Hi, hoping to find some help with an unusual problem. Shortly after getting a new SSD (and High Sierra) for my mini (mid 2011) last month, the blazing speed was "checked" after 30-45 minutes of Adobe work. Specifically, external usb drives unmounted at random and bluetooth mouse cycles on and off, followed disconnection idenitified by a flashing zig-zag strikethrough on the bluetooth menu icon.

Out of warranty, obviously. My tech contractor for my apple products has tried several diagnostics and attempted solving the problem by among other things using terminal, disconnecting all usb drives and trying one by one, switching me to another wireless mouse as well as a vintage usb mouse. It keeps exhibiting the same behaviour, though the last time he looked under the hood and fiddled with something, a week ago, it worked for about 2 hours then same old problem.

The new ssd doesn't seem to be running hot and apps (particularly Adobe CC) are working fine.

16GB RAM

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 4:53 PM

5 replies

Dec 14, 2017 8:16 PM in response to santiago20b

From your description, it is sounding more like a hardware problem than software.

I think that I would start looking for a loose power supply to logic board connection and/or a pinched power supply cable. Next I would look for a loose or missing logic board to case screw to make sure that the logic board is properly grounded to the case. It gets a lot harder after that, because one needs the proper skill and tools to troubleshoot for a bad power supply or worst case scenario, a damaged or faulty logic board.

Dec 15, 2017 6:28 AM in response to santiago20b

I hope that it is something simple.

FWIW I'm no expert, but have successfully put SSDs into 6 different unibody 2010 - 2012 Mac Mini's for myself and friends. Like you, I'm amazed at how well they preform with SSDs versus HDDs. My wife is using my old Mid 2010 Mac Mini, w/SSD, 8GB of RAM on High Sierraand it will open her 50GB+ photo library in the wink of a eye. I'm using a Late 2012 Mac Mini i7, w/dual SSDs, 16GB of RAM, dual matte finish monitors and I would not trade it straight across for a glossy screened iMac.

My bluetooth connection AND usb bus cycles on and off after 30 minutes on my mini/high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.