Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram or Graphics Issue 2011 MBP

So my 2011 MBP, randomly and as of late, frequently starts beeping a set of 3 chimes, four times, before it shuts off and restarts.

I upgraded the ram about a year ago so I wasn't thinking this was the issue but that is what some other queries say.

Any other ideas? Video attached, sadly I only got one of the last set of chimes.

It's a very odd issue, as it has happened probably 4 times in the last week yet only maybe another 4 times in the past 4 months.

Early 2011 MBP base model

running 10.11.6

https://streamable.com/1drsu

Video link^

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 3:05 PM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2017 3:42 PM in response to Kappy

Seems to be ram then, three short, 5 second pause.

But, there is no issue on startup and it is only occasional plus my biggest question would ram cause a screen to do what it did in that video? This is the first time I've ever caught it usually it just wakes me up in the middle of the night -> doing nothing which also confuses me.

Dec 14, 2017 4:10 PM in response to ipodperson1

If you were able to do the RAM install without drawing blood, it is unlikely to be a socket. Standard models say that the DIMM itself is the most likely failure in a system that does not move around. But portable computers are subject to tremendous G-forces just being moved around in ordinary ways.

That said, the main reason Apple has gone to non-replaceable RAM is that 'eliminating the sockets' makes the entire computer much more reliable.

Ram or Graphics Issue 2011 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.