Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to re-download files on iBooks every time I open the app?

Each time I wish to read one of the books I have on iBooks I have to tap the cloud download icon and download the book. That is, I can download the book and read it as I wish, close the app, and when I open iBooks again the cloud download icon is back and I have to download the book again.

This is counterproductive to the design of the app itself, as I often read these books when I do not have Internet access. I open the app precisely when I do not have Internet access, and so requiring a re-download each time the app is opened makes no sense.

Does anyone know of a way to download a book once and for all, so I can actually use this app?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 10:25 AM

I really would like an answer from Apple myself. This is a HUGE hinderance for me as I often download flyers, quick info sheets, and things that are only a few pages yet I have to wait quite a long time for it to download. Also most of the time I want or need to access when I have poor service.

8 replies

Jan 25, 2018 10:17 AM in response to Aelfrick

I had this issue as well, but found a fix. I would download books over wifi, but the next time I opened iBooks the books would need to be re-downloaded. I saw this while on and off of wifi, but it was of course more of an issue when only cellular data was available.

The fix: My iPhone was almost completely out of storage (this issue would probably affect iPads as well). After freeing up some space, downloaded books stay downloaded. I freed up 20%, but I imagine 10% would be sufficient.

My guess is that on devices with very little storage space available, iCloud tries to free some up by removing content you're not using at the moment, content that exists in iCloud storage. This is pretty smart on Apple's part, and is much better than hitting a hard limit in most cases. It's definitely inconvenient when a book you're reading is no longer available and you only have cellular data, but keeping some free space available should avoid this.

Jan 26, 2018 11:12 AM in response to Aelfrick

All computers and devices run into issues when storage space starts to run out. Leaving some free space is a good practice no matter what device or operating system you're using. Keeping 10% free should be sufficient.

iOS has a nice feature for finding "space hogs" on your device. Go to Settings > General > iPhone/iPad Storage. This will provide you with information on space available, which categories are taking up the most space, and some automatic options for freeing up space.

Scroll down to see how much space each app is using. Tap the app and you'll be provided with more information and the option to offload* or delete the app.

* There's more information on what is meant by "offloading" within this preferences section.

Why do I have to re-download files on iBooks every time I open the app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.