Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will AppleTV 4K support Dolby Atmos digitally?

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:21 PM

27 replies

Feb 12, 2018 10:16 AM in response to Pedrokas

As already said no one here can answer that, any attempt would be based on speculation and is not permitted. There isn’t anything here that will provide value, the purpose is for users helping other users in resolving technical issues.

If there are features you want added then the option is to use the feedback form. Apple will not be seeing this nor respond here, you would need to contact them if you wish to speak to someone about this.

Mar 5, 2018 12:28 PM in response to Oyodin

Even if/when Apple supports Atmos, it does not mean that Netflix will over the Apple TV. For example, The Amazon Fire TV 4K supports Atmos, but Netflix ONLY supports Atmos when streamed through an Xbox, Slelect LG TVs, or a PC running Win10 with a specific build number or higher.

Frustrating I know. I’ve submitted feedback to Apple and I encourage everyone here to do so as well.

Mar 24, 2018 6:07 AM in response to Pedrokas

There are several apps out there that already offer content with Dolby Atmos. We have Netflix, Vudu and Maxdome to just name a few. Having this implemented (it's just DD+ after all) should be very easy for Apple. However, the AppleTV doesn't even use proper Passthrough of DD+ at the moment but instead decodes all audio and sends it to the AVR as PCM. I have no idea why, but that's how it is.

I seriously hope we'll get Atmos support soon though. It's been around since 2012 now, so it's not like we're talking cutting edge technology here...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.