Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Stuck on Loading Screen

I need a little help with my late-09 MacBook.

So I recently upgraded to High Sierra, and my MacBook (which still has the old fashioned mechanical HDD) worked fine for about a day. Last night, I turned it on and accidentally left it at the log-in screen all night with the lid shut. This morning, I opened it back up to shut it down properly, but it was incredibly slow, that simple task took almost 10 minutes. I tried to turn it back on later, but it hung at the grey Apple logo screen indefinitely, even with the progress bar full. I turned it off and tried it again to the same results.

Following the instructions posted in another thread, I booted into recovery mode, used Disk Utility to check the HDD (which turned up clean), tried rebooting again (which failed again), then decided to reinstall MacOS.

I again tried booting it up after reinstalling macOS, and again, it won't get past the Apple logo screen. It's been sitting with a full progress bar for close to two hours now.

The nearest Apple store is some 150 miles away, so I can't easily get it in to get checked out. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Late 2009, Unibody

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:55 PM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2017 3:03 PM in response to EvilDarkCow

Hi EvilDarkCow,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that since installing macOS High Sierra your Mac will not load past the Apple logo and progress bar, which appears to be full. I also see you've done some great troubleshooting in using Disk Utility and reinstalling macOS, thank you for letting me know the steps you've already taken. I know how important using your Mac is and I'd like to help. I'd recommend starting your Mac in safe mode using these steps: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the Mac starts up and you're able to log in while using safe mode restart your Mac normally and test again.

If you're unable to get past the Apple logo and progress bar while using safe mode or you see something else, let me know.

Best Regards.

Feb 3, 2018 3:55 PM in response to EvilDarkCow

I have also had this problem too but for not that long as you did. I tried the same thing including recovery but I took my MacBook to my campus apple store and they told me that it has to do with the new OS and the Mac not being able to keep up with it, as in the RAM it has already isn't enough for it to run at all, although I was able to use Windows on Bootcamp. They said I needed to replace the ram in it with at least 8gb but at most 16gb. So I went to Best Buy and got one BUT it needed to be SoDimm (shorter memory card, 204 pins) for $90. Amazon isn't very much cheaper and it'll save you time. The cost to repair was $25.

I should tell you that if you do get a 16gb ram memory card, it needs to be 2 8gb RAM cards that are SoDimm, and they will replace the old memory cards with the new ones. If you get the 8gb RAM card, tell the repair technicians to keep one of the 2gb RAM cards in there (there are two 2gb ram cards total in your MacBook Pro that make it 4gb, I assume) so that you have a total of 10gb of RAM.

I paid $50 for the repair at my campus apple store from hourly and diagnostic. You can pay that much plus the cost of the RAM, at least $140. Or you can do it the free way: downgrade your OS to Sierra.

These two things are what I considered but did the RAM upgrade.

Macbook Stuck on Loading Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.