Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound Output - Multi-Output Device Disappeared

Sometime today, one of the system sound output options disappeared from the list of available outputs in system preferences->sound->output.

How can it be put back?

This graphic shows more about the situation.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The multi-output device is essential to my workflow.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12), Dual 6-core 3.3GHz Xeon 64GBRam

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2017 6:27 AM

I found a fix. I don't know why I missed this. I tried adding a multi-output device by clicking the settings gear in the MIDI Audio Devices app. This app comes with macOS, among the system utilities.

All it took was clicking the + sign instead of the gear. doi.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

It's all over but the shouting at this point. Click a few checkboxes...

User uploaded file

And the new multi-output device takes the place formally held by the deado device-o. Is it possible to find the remains of the dead multi-output device and find what killed it?

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2017 6:27 AM in response to danallenhouston

I found a fix. I don't know why I missed this. I tried adding a multi-output device by clicking the settings gear in the MIDI Audio Devices app. This app comes with macOS, among the system utilities.

All it took was clicking the + sign instead of the gear. doi.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

It's all over but the shouting at this point. Click a few checkboxes...

User uploaded file

And the new multi-output device takes the place formally held by the deado device-o. Is it possible to find the remains of the dead multi-output device and find what killed it?

User uploaded file

Dec 17, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Mac_slide

After rebooting about 10 minutes ago, no change in the situation, the multi-port device is still not present as an option for system sound output. Here is a screenshot of what it looks like.

User uploaded file

After that, I shutdown and then started the system again. It looks like this in safe mode:User uploaded file

Restarting normally... what I mean is I shut down the system, then removed the power cable from the computer. After that, I held down the power button for about 10 seconds. 5 seconds into that, the was a soft click which clears the pram. Replaced the power cord and then powered on. The sound devices are back, except the multi-output device.

User uploaded file

Sound Output - Multi-Output Device Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.