Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mac OS 10.13.2 Requires Login

I'm running Mac OS 10.13.2 on

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

My Mac is secure; always in my house. I don't want to login with my user name and password every time I turn my Mac on.

I tried selecting my Administrator Sign in

Choosing Login Options

And Automatic Login is Off. It is greyed out and there is no way to change it. But when I restart my mac, it requires my user name and password.

I tried all the suggestions in

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Dec 14, 2017 9:06 PM in response to Ptati In response to Ptati

In System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options did you unlock the padlock at the bottom left of the panel, once you have done that the options on the panel should be selectable. You should then be able to set Automatic Login

as you wish.

Also have a look in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General you can set Automatic Login there too,

just uncheck Disable Automatic Login.

Dec 14, 2017 9:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 14, 2017 10:10 PM in response to Ptati In response to Ptati

If you don't want your login field and password every time to be displayed , open system preferences > users and groups .

Click on pad lock and enter admin name and password , once the lock is opened click on login options uncheck the box of name and password and select list of users .

So , when you restart the machine the display will show list of users and name and password field will not be displayed .

Dec 14, 2017 10:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 14, 2017 11:36 PM in response to tygb In response to tygb

Dear Eric and Eau Rouge ,

OP has asked in his question - I don't want to login with my user name and password every time I turn my Mac on.An article for it Hide a user account in macOS - Apple Support

Or can select manually as name and password .

And , secondly he asked ,

Choosing Login Options

And Automatic Login is Off. It is greyed out and there is no way to change it. But when I restart my mac, it requires my user name and password.

An article for it If you don’t see a login window when you start your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2017 11:36 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 5:27 AM in response to Eau Rouge In response to Eau Rouge

If he has not opened the locked , the automatic login if it is kept as off will be shown as greyed .

User uploaded file

And he wants automatic login , if it is an admin account has to open the lock by entering admin name and passwords , click on drop down arrows of automatic login and choose his user name .

User uploaded file

Another pop - up window appears enter the credentials and click on ok .

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 5:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 15, 2017 6:18 AM in response to tygb In response to tygb

I don't know why you are addressing your post to me, it includes everything I said in my post to the OP.

I am very well aware of how to set the mac for Automatic Login.

You constantly give erroneous answers to questions, or give answers to questions that have not been asked

or quite often repeat what someone else has already offered.

Dec 15, 2017 6:18 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Ptati

Question: Mac OS 10.13.2 Requires Login