Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlimited storage for photos in iCloud

Last year, after buying MacBook and iPhone, I decided to use Apple programs for almost all my task (Google Music -> Apple Music, Google Chrome -> Safari and so on), because they are really comfortable to use. Thanks for that. But what I can't change so far is storage for my photos. I have really big library and I have to store it in Google Photos because they allow my store UNLIMITED number of photos in high resolution (I know Google optimize my photos somehow, so it can lose quality, but I think it is fine). So, I really want to move my photos & videos to apple cloud, but I can't, since I have to pay a lot of money monthly.

Apple, do you have any plans to add such feature as Google has? I think most of Google Photos users will move their libraries to Apple Photos once Apple add this awesome feature.

iPhone 5s, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:50 PM

17 replies

Dec 15, 2017 10:17 AM in response to DavyJohnes

yes

That has been well researched and documented by third party privacy organizations - on the other hand the same firms have proven that Google and Amazon are data mining their customers even including listening to their homes with their "intelligent" devices

You believe what you want and take what ever actions that requires but the facts say that Google and Amazon abuse their customers privacy and Apple protects their customers privacy

LN

Dec 15, 2017 10:28 AM in response to LarryHN

Sounds reasonable. But the fact is that Apple collects my geolocation, my request to Siri, my listened music and may be something else. Apple says they use this data only to improve different recommendations (for example to suggest most appropriate music for me, most interesting places and so on), but customers can not be sure in this for 100%, right? So, what's the difference between Apple datamining and Google dataminig? May be I do not fully understand what is "datamining"? From my standpoint it is something like "collect data -> aggregate data -> analyze data -> use result for some purposes", isn't it?

Dec 15, 2017 10:47 AM in response to DavyJohnes

again the difference is giant

Google admits it and many. many. many independent parties have confirmed that they do collect and sell your data - you can see it yourself if you do a google search for some product all of a sudden your future searched will start including ads for tha tproduct

Apple denies it and many third parties have confirmed that they do not collect and sell your data

Other than that there is no difference

again

You believe what you want and take what ever actions that requires but the facts say that Google and Amazon abuse their customers privacy and Apple protects their customers privacy

LN

Dec 15, 2017 11:07 AM in response to DavyJohnes

DavyJohnes wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I do not want to convince you. I just want to understand how it works and why in this way. Your example about Google search is not good example. I think every search engine in the world (google, bing, yahoo...) stores history of your searches and uses it to show you more relevant ad.

Then you might be interested in duckduckgo.com. They don't track you.

Dec 15, 2017 11:13 AM in response to DavyJohnes

I think if Apple were have their own search engine, they would use this data in absolutely same way.

Of course they do not and the facts say they do not date mine your information and sell it and that Google and Amazon do

for the third (and last) time

again

LN

Dec 15, 2017 11:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I, of course, do use Duck Duck go - but that is not the point - the point is that Apple has been proven not to data mine your data including iCloud and Google has been proven to do so including Google search and Google photos -

and you can count on Terence's statement being true

Always remember: if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product. You may not be paying cash for Google Photos but you are paying in other ways. They're datamining your life.

LN

Dec 15, 2017 11:22 AM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

I, of course, do use Duck Duck go - but that is not the point - the point is that Apple has been proven not to data mine your data including iCloud and Google has been proven to do so including Google search and Google photos -

and you can count on Terence's statement being true

Always remember: if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product. You may not be paying cash for Google Photos but you are paying in other ways. They're datamining your life.

LN

My referral was in direct response to the OP's statement that all search engines datamine. That is all. I concur with everything you and Terrance have said so far.

Dec 15, 2017 11:30 AM in response to LarryHN

My initial intent is to say "Hey Apple, your products and ecosystem are really cool, the only thing which bother me is how I store my photo & video, I would like to use Apple Photos, but I can't, since google can do ... but you can't. It would be really great to see such feature in your stack.".

Unfortunately I didn't know Apple does not read this forum.

Unlimited storage for photos in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.