Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which cable do I need to connect MacBook 12 inch retina 2017 to iMac 21.5 inch mid 2011?

Which cable do I need to connect MacBook 12 inch retina 2017 to iMac 21.5 inch mid 2011?

I want to use the iMac as a display with Target Display Mode.

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 8:00 AM

Hello jdcollins2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you'd like to use Target Display Mode with your iMac but need to know what cable to use. I'm happy to help.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt cable or Mini Display Port cable for Target Display Mode. Please review the link below for additional steps and information:
Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode

Have a wonderful day!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 8:00 AM in response to jdcollins2

Hello jdcollins2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding you'd like to use Target Display Mode with your iMac but need to know what cable to use. I'm happy to help.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt cable or Mini Display Port cable for Target Display Mode. Please review the link below for additional steps and information:
Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode

Have a wonderful day!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.