Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I create installer USB stick from DMG for macOS High Sierra

Somewhy, my macOS High Sierra installer won't finish downloading High Sierra. It always stuck at "5 mins remainin" or downloading bar is full. So i decided to download macOS High Sierra from Apple Support page. But i can't find anything about how can i install it? Everyone talking about "making bootable usb with macOS High Sierra installer which downloaded from AppStore, so i can download full High Sierra via it" but i don't want this because of it never finishes.

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 11:56 PM

8 replies

Dec 15, 2017 12:35 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Where did you download the full High Sierra (4.8Gbs .dmg) the only place you can officially download the full installer is through the App Store and the download is 5.18Gbs.

You can see its 4.80Gb on AppStore, and of course it is not the only place.

User uploaded file

And i know i can install .dmgs by double clicking, but i don't think i can install entire High Sierra with double click on it 😕

Dec 15, 2017 12:13 AM in response to oguzhanvarsak

You can only download the full installer for macOS High Sierra via the App Store.

The download you got from the Apple Support Download page is an update to an already installed version of High Sierra. The full installer is not available there.

If you are trying to download using WiFi you might be better off if you can connect your mac via ethernet cable for a faster more robust connection. Also do not use the mac for anything else while downloading the OS.

Once downloaded and before going ahead with the installation sequence look in your Applications folder for Install macOS High Sierra.app, make a copy of this and move it to an external drive or USB stick or elsewhere on your mac.

When you install High Sierra the install app in your Applications folder is automatically deleted, so it is a good idea to make a copy. It is from this copy of the install app that you make a bootable USB. How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support or use this, ***

<Link Edited by Host>

Dec 15, 2017 12:20 AM in response to Eau Rouge

If you are trying to download using WiFi you might be better off if you can connect your mac via ethernet cable for a faster more robust connection.

I already did that, but it doesn't matter my internet speed slow or fast (In my country, internet is free for 2AM - 8AM, i tried to download then too, but same results)

When you install High Sierra the install app in your Applications folder is automatically deleted, so it is a good idea to make a copy. It is from this copy of the install app that you make a bootable USB.

No, i can't use macOS High Sierra Installer downloaded from App Store because it stuck every time i try, like i said on my post. I downloaded full High Sierra (4.8Gb .dmg). Like i said, the problem is it never finishes if I use Installer from AppStore. It even stuck at full bar, waited 1 hour and won't finish.

Dec 15, 2017 12:53 AM in response to Eau Rouge

It's downloading for now, and i know it is 5.18 Gb when you download it via installer. I don't have anyway to do that because installer won't finish downloading. It always says failed to download InstallESDDmg or BaseSystemDmg in log history. But, i could download and install Yosemite perfectly last night via Recovery. I don't know what is wrong with High Sierra installer

Dec 15, 2017 1:00 AM in response to oguzhanvarsak

As you pointed out the new High Sierra installer 10.13.2 is 4.8Gbs.

As you have been trying to download High Sierra several times have a look in your Applications folder for anything with High Sierra in the title. If you do delete it. Also look in Launchpad for any instance of macOS or High Sierra, if so click and hold till it wiggles then click on the 'x' to delete it. Now Restart the Mac, relaunch the App Store and see f you can now download High Sierra without problems.

Dec 15, 2017 1:05 AM in response to Eau Rouge

It tooks 4 hours to download HS, i did same process for 2 days. In Recovery, in Internet Recovery, in Yosemite. It was all same. I found people had same issue 2 months ago, and they saying "InstallESDDmg or BaseSystem.dmg was missing in Installer.app". I hope i could find them and ask for it. Just see they downloaded macOS HS 4.80gb too and it was ok after use it. Thanks for effort anyway. Have a nice day!

How can I create installer USB stick from DMG for macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.