Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically inserting meta-tags for all occurrences of a word

I am writing a book rich with meta tags in the ancient Hebrew language to allow users to find out where a certain tag appears across the document to give it a sense. To begin it, I am writing and publishing each chapter individually, and that does create only slight problems with inserting the tags. Yet when I need to collect all the chapters in the final books, I would have to tag hundred of thousands of words and that is unbearable to be manually done. Apple told me there is no automatic way to do it; has anyone got a solution with Automator or some other tool?

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 8:01 AM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:31 AM in response to RCAustin

To the contrary: I already published over 40 chapters of my Bible. It is not in Hebrew, of course; I just left some dozens terms not better translated in western languages in phonetic Hebrew for lack of a better option.

The problem for which I came here is to collate all the chapters and restore the metalinks, given Apple told me they do not survive when chapters are copied.

Dec 17, 2017 11:38 PM in response to RCAustin

The point is that setting meta tags is a pain in the heck. Some words occur even in a single chapter over 200 times, what boils down to clicking ctrl g and targeting the tiny ‘add link’ button with the mouse for which no shortcut exists, and hope in so doing the meta link list does not reset and the words start becoming tagged to the first element of the list, rather than the correct entry. What is a real nightmare, I need to admit. My feelings is the iBook Author was not thought for a metalink threading as it is my my work, and I hope they shall address the task soon. For the time being I would be very happy to have a script pushing crtl g and add link automatically, without me having to enter the commands on the buffer with ugly results if a click dies not target the button or the list is refreshed.

Do you know of some Automator script doing the job?

Thanks for your attention,

Fabrizio

Automatically inserting meta-tags for all occurrences of a word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.