Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons for Applications Disapearing

A while ago, many of my applications icons in the dock and applications folder started disappearing and changing to the icon below. Any suggestions?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 7:12 PM

Hello, Oli.feuerheerdt.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that your icons in the dock and folders are changed to what appears to be a default icon. I definitely have some suggestions that may help you with this. First, make sure your MacBook Pro is up-to-date: How to update the software on your Mac If you're using macOS High Sierra, the latest version is ​10.13.2.

If they still appear, boot into safe mode and then restart without safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2017 7:12 PM in response to Oli.feuerheerdt

Hello, Oli.feuerheerdt.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that your icons in the dock and folders are changed to what appears to be a default icon. I definitely have some suggestions that may help you with this. First, make sure your MacBook Pro is up-to-date: How to update the software on your Mac If you're using macOS High Sierra, the latest version is ​10.13.2.

If they still appear, boot into safe mode and then restart without safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2017 2:32 PM in response to Oli.feuerheerdt

Just a comment about why this worked...when you boot into "safe" mode, some of the files that the operating system keeps around in "caches" are removed, then the next "normal" boot, the file caches are rebuilt. There is a one-time "cost" as these cached files need to be re-created, but just that first normal boot. If anyone would like to see more details about what a "safe mode" boot does, take a look at http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/07/29/how-to-boot-mac-safe-mode/

This process (safe then normal boots) can solve all kinds of weird problems, and is something that is easy to try and see if it solves a problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve "all" problems, but better some than none ;-)

Congratulations and way to go ... also congrats on marking the problem solved so that others can see how to solve a similar problem.

Icons for Applications Disapearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.