Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only Shell screensaver displays when trying to choose other screensaver options (Message, Word of the Day, Classic) in macOS High Sierra

Just upgraded to macOS High Sierra, the upgrade went fine. Except ...

Only Shell screensaver displays when trying to choose other screensaver options (E.g. Message, Word of the Day, Classic) in macOS High Sierra.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

MacOS High Sierra: Version 10.13.2

System: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 Inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 2.7 BHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

MacOS High Sierra-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:20 AM

17 replies

Dec 17, 2017 2:56 PM in response to dialabrain

I know it's crazy. I scrolled through the list, however, no luck. But, User uploaded file

I did find this in Library/Preferences/By Host:

com.apple.ScreenSaver.iLifeSlideShows.B4FF857E-7A5C-555D-97AB-3AC86EBDB6EE.plist

com.apple.ScreenSaverPhotoChooser.B4FF857E-7A5C-555D-97AB-3AC86EBDB6EE.plist

What do you think? I'm not a developer. Can both of these .plist files have something to do with the problem?

What does a .plist file do?

Thanks again,

Martin

Dec 15, 2017 5:12 PM in response to mr martin

Hi mr martin,

I understand that after installing macOS High Sierra you're only able to see the "Shell" screensaver option through System Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver. I know it's important to be able to use the customization options with this feature and I'd like to help. I'd recommend following these steps to start your Mac in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
In safe mode test to see if you are given the options you're currently missing. If you see them, restart normally and test again.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Dec 17, 2017 9:52 AM in response to Teddy_B

Hi jameson.h,

Many thanks for your email. I've tried your suggestion, used safe mode, and still the same result. When I try to choose one of the other screensavers the preview window displays a series of multicolored lines, not even a preview of the screensaver I try to select.

I've also tried to reset the permissions, reinstalled High Sierra, reinstalled the Combo Update for High Sierra and still the same problem.

After searching on the Internet it appears that I'm not alone. Many others are having the same problem. I think the issue resides within High Sierra's core code.

We would think that Apple could at least get basic functionality like the screensaver to work.

If you have or have know of any other possible fixes please do let me know.

Thanks,

Martin

Dec 17, 2017 10:19 AM in response to ejh4isu

ejh4isu wrote:

After upgrading to 10.13.2 my screensaver fails to work as well. The only way for me to activate it is to manually place the cursor in a hot corner I've designated. You'd think something as basic as a screensaver would always work, but now it doesn't.

FWIW, the OP is a problem selecting which screen saver starts. A different problem than you have. Check System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screensaver make sure "Start after:" is not set to Never. If it's not, try changing the time.

Dec 17, 2017 5:08 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank you, I just learned something new.

I deleted both of them, restarted, same problem.

When back again deleted them plus the photochooser file, restarted, same problem.

I've reset the permissions, reinstalled macOS High Sierra, reinstalled the Combo Update for macOS High Sierra.

Checked the Group Policy settings for the screensaver.

I've also noticed that when the Shell Saver starts to run, so does the fan. And it runs exceptionally high and generates a lot of heat.

For now I'll set one of corners to put the machine to sleep. If I let the screensaver run the machine in time is likely to overheat.

It's a baffling bug.

Today I spoke to Apple and Apple Support is equally as baffled. They've created a case and submitting it to their engineering/software development department.

Let's see what happens next.

Thanks again for your willingness to help, your patience and concern. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

Only Shell screensaver displays when trying to choose other screensaver options (Message, Word of the Day, Classic) in macOS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.