Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i convert protected mp4 file to mp3

Hi, can someone please explain to me how i can convert protected mp4 music files to mp3, because I want to transfer them to a usb to listen to them in the car. I have tried clicking convert through the edit tab, but i keep getting a message saying "itunes protected files cannot be converted". Please help, because it is doing my head in, i have tried all sorts of different ways and I cant do it.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:20 AM

6 replies

Dec 20, 2017 3:42 AM in response to turingtest2

The music did come via my Apple Music subscription, thank you for clearing that up for me.

I think that its ridiculous that once you have paid for the music you can't transfer the music to a USB so the music can be played in your car or home without having to play them through your phone.

I suppose we can thank all the people that pirate the music.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2017 2:19 PM in response to cv8zpoz

CV8,

You cannot convert them. However, you can use iTunes to burn them to an audio CD and rip back unprotected versions.

If you have a large quantity (or lack a CD burner), get a temporary subscription to iTunes Match and upgrade per this document:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201616

...and see the section about "To upgrade your music to iTunes Plus, follow these steps on your computer."

how can i convert protected mp4 file to mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.