Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of Old TimeCapsule as Ethernet Only Router

I am about to move home and am looking for some help for my home network. The new property is constructed from concrete reinforced by steel so wifi signals have restricted distances due to the density of construction materials. The property has a small store room in which the main fibre optic cable come in to the ISP's modem which is located next to all the ethernet socket hub (I'm unsure on the correct terminology) that link all the various ethernet ports around the house.

In my current property for my network I use an airport extreme (main router), new-ish apple time capsule (which appears to have developed wifi issues and consequently is no longer used as the main router, having been replaced in that location by the extreme) and an airport express. The airport extreme receives a wired connection from the ISP Modem and is connected via a wired connection to the time capsule. The airport extreme is connected wirelessly to the Airport express. The wifi network is set up from the extreme and is extended by the time capsule and express.

I also have an old 1B Time Capsule (802.11n) which kept dropping wifi and was replaced by the more recent one which now has similar issues.

I am considering the following set-up in my new property:

1. Connect the old 802.11n Time capsule in the ISP cupboard to the ISP modem using it as a router only with no wifi functionality to distribute wired connections to the other 3 airport products via the properties ethernet hub (note earlier terminology concerns) in various parts of the property. It is almost pointless having any wifi setup inside a small room surrounded by steel reinforced concrete.

2. Set up the wifi network from the Airport extreme (which will be connected via a wired connection to the old 802.11n Time capsule).

3. Extend the wifi network of the airport extreme from the new-ish apple time capsule and airport extreme (noting that both will be connected via a wired connection to the old 802.11n Time capsule).

Is this possible?

All help much appreciated.

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:43 AM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2017 3:59 AM in response to dubai mac

the ethernet socket hub (I'm unsure on the correct terminology) that link all the various ethernet ports around the house.

Patch panel. If you have a lot of ethernet in the house then people will get a switch.. so you patch each ethernet point to the switch and the router also connects to the switch.

1. Connect the old 802.11n Time capsule in the ISP cupboard to the ISP modem using it as a router only with no wifi functionality to distribute wired connections to the other 3 airport products via the properties ethernet hub (note earlier terminology concerns) in various parts of the property. It is almost pointless having any wifi setup inside a small room surrounded by steel reinforced concrete.

Yes, as long as the old TC still works well this is fine. But you probably will have ISP supplied modem router.. and the TC will be in bridge mode.. although there are more complicated setups you can do.

The TC may not actually be needed at all .. depending on what the ISP supply.

2. Set up the wifi network from the Airport extreme (which will be connected via a wired connection to the old 802.11n Time capsule).

Sure this is extend by ethernet.. what is important is to make sure your wireless setup is NOT extend but create.. using the same wireless name (or SSID).. and password as all the other WAP (wireless access points) in the house.. this setup is WAP.

3. Extend the wifi network of the airport extreme from the new-ish apple time capsule and airport extreme (noting that both will be connected via a wired connection to the old 802.11n Time capsule).

Same as 2. Each is extending by wire.. so it creates a wireless network of the same name.. same password.. just channels will be different.

This is standard roaming network.. and should be setup pretty much automatically if you do use the TC.. as long as you use it with wireless turned on and setup.. so all the other units can copy the settings.. once you complete that the wireless can be turned off.

Dec 16, 2017 9:38 AM in response to dubai mac

If I invest in a switch, can I use that with the patch panel, forget the old TC and run the entire network both wired and wireless from the AirPort Extreme which will be located away from the patch panel?

In other words the ISP cable modem would connect to the switch which connects the various airport devices plus smart TV via Ethernet and one of those devices the airport express acts as the main router.

Dec 16, 2017 9:48 AM in response to dubai mac

This will depend on what type of "modem" that you have.

If you have a simple modem......(with only one Ethernet port).....then the modem must first connect to a router.....and then, the router can connect to the Ethernet patch panel or switch.

Modem > Router > Ethernet Network > Switches, etc.

If your "modem" is also a router.....a modem/router or gateway type of product.....then the modem/router can connect to the Ethernet patch panel or switch.

Modem/Router > Ethernet Network > Switches, etc.

Use of Old TimeCapsule as Ethernet Only Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.