Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saved Over A Pages File!!

Hi there!

I recently saved a document, and as I saved a notice came up 'do you wish to save over a document with the same name' and I did't think and clicked yes.

Now I've lost the first document that I saved over and URGENTLY need it. I've have icloud backing up my destop... is there anyway to get it back??

Please help!!!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:03 AM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2017 5:57 AM in response to afromnz

You should be using Time Machine with a suitably sized (3x your boot drive) external storage device. That is real backup. Apple is not archiving the files that you put on iCloud Drive, until you remove them, and then you have a 30-day sliding window to recover them. On the 31st day, you are out of luck.

If you are signed into iCloud, Time Machine will backup what it can see on iCloud Drive. If you don't have the Pages folder selected in System Preferences : iCloud : iCloud Drive : Options : Pages, then that folder won't get captured by Time Machine.

Saved Over A Pages File!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.