Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust/Don't Trust prompt not appearing

I have a MacBook (2015 15" Pro, High Sierra 10.13.2) and iPad Pro. MacBook has latest iOS update, iPad needs update 11.2.1 but otherwise up to date. I only do iOS updates through iTunes, after having a previous phone crash while updating over wifi. I have backed up and updated this same iPad multiple times previously on this same MacBook. But today, when connecting the iPad by USB to MacBook iTunes, I'm asked repeatedly if I want to trust this computer. The prompt to trust or not trust NEVER APPEARS on the iPad. I'm stuck in a loop on the MacBook, to continue or stop. The iPad icon never appears in top left corner of iTunes.

I've looked at other Apple community discussions with similar problems (inc. with iPhone and Windows). I've been to Apple's default instructions about trusting/not trusting. I've tried everything I could find. I reset the iPad's Location & Privacy settings. I've reset it's Network Settings (and logged back in to my home wifi). I've rebooted the iPad, iTunes, and the MacBook. I did an update to our wifi devices (Time Capsule and an Airport Express "booster"). I connected our other iPad (mini 3) to the same MacBook with same USB port; it worked normally - back up, updated, etc. I tries the other USB port. I have not done an SMC reset since the iPad mini worked normally with the port.

I have not done a total restore/reset of the iPad, and would like to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:40 AM

Well, sorry for the trouble. I found the solution. But maybe this will help someone else.

Before reading further, do you want to guess what the problem was?

I noticed that the iPad power-charging status (top right corner) was rapidly cycling between charging and not charging when connected by USB. I tried a different USB cable (same port), and after a few hiccups with the trusting process, all is well. This same USB cable and port worked fine with my iPhone X and iPad mini3 TODAY, but NOT with the iPad Pro. I'm thankful the solution was easy, albeit maddeningly difficult to find an answer for. I've been at this for about 2 hours.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 4:40 AM in response to tj_610

Well, sorry for the trouble. I found the solution. But maybe this will help someone else.

Before reading further, do you want to guess what the problem was?

I noticed that the iPad power-charging status (top right corner) was rapidly cycling between charging and not charging when connected by USB. I tried a different USB cable (same port), and after a few hiccups with the trusting process, all is well. This same USB cable and port worked fine with my iPhone X and iPad mini3 TODAY, but NOT with the iPad Pro. I'm thankful the solution was easy, albeit maddeningly difficult to find an answer for. I've been at this for about 2 hours.

Trust/Don't Trust prompt not appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.