Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode plus regular (not Apple) Display

Hi All,

I currently have my Mac Mini (late 2012) connected to a regular display via HDMI.

I’m retiring my iMac 27” (Mid-2011) from the office and planning to use it with my Mini in Target Display Mode elsewhere.

Given that I understand that it’s only audio/video that transmits in Target Display Mode, am I right in expecting that the existing monitor that’s connected to the Mini will still be available can be used for display mirroring/extended desktop since ports (HDMI, USB, etc) that are available for use in TDM are those only on the Mini?

I’m hoping that Target Display Mode won’t be all Apple-like and say “regular displays connected to the Mini are not available in Target Display Mode”.

FWIW, iMac is running High Sierra 10.13.2, Mini is running Sierra 10.12.6.

Mac mini (Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 6:49 AM

So a bit of an update.

Plugged everything in and turns out it works as hoped so happy days. Setup as follows for anyone interested:

- iMac 27 (Mid-2011) connected to Mac Mini (Late-2012) via thunderbolt cable (in TDM) and Samsung 32” monitor connected to the Mini via HDMI. Also have VirtualKVM running on startup on the iMac so once everything is powered up the iMac automatically switches to TDM.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 6:49 AM in response to RI330

So a bit of an update.

Plugged everything in and turns out it works as hoped so happy days. Setup as follows for anyone interested:

- iMac 27 (Mid-2011) connected to Mac Mini (Late-2012) via thunderbolt cable (in TDM) and Samsung 32” monitor connected to the Mini via HDMI. Also have VirtualKVM running on startup on the iMac so once everything is powered up the iMac automatically switches to TDM.

Dec 15, 2017 4:33 AM in response to RI330

don't think it will work

Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support

not sure why one would wish to, that is unless the monitor only had 1 input

I have an asus 27" my mac connects to it by dvi, my xbone connect to it by hdmi my tablet connects to it by the other hdmi port, I which between using the controls on the front of the monitor this should be std on monitors in general

Dec 15, 2017 5:45 AM in response to RI330

Sell/Retire/Donate the 2011 iMac and get matching external (DVI or Display Port) monitors for your 2012 Mac Mini.

(I have my older working iMac setup in the game room for the Grandkids)

I run dual DVI Samsung monitors on my Late 2012 Mac Mini.

(1 on an HDMI to DVD adapter and 1 on a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter)

Dec 15, 2017 12:25 PM in response to RI330

Thanks for the input all.

The reason for all this is that I have sufficient monitors spread across locations that I don’t want to be buying more, I’m just juggling around what I have to suit my current needs at the office hence the question. One of the displays used at home in a tri-screen setup (connected to a Surface Pro) will make its way to the office for a tri-screen setup which means the iMac is no longer practical for the office and rather than let it go (still a great machine), this was the option I was looking for. Can‘t see any value in selling it and honestly I’d rather not throw it out considering it still works perfectly fine.

Target Display Mode plus regular (not Apple) Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.