Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate Mac Mail V5

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac both with High Sierra. I'm trying to migrate all my mails and Mail folders on the iMac but all my experiments so far have failed.

I have copied the complete Mail folder the com.apple.mail, com.apple.MailCacheDelete and com.Apple.MailServiceAgent folders to the corresponding folders but when I launch Mail it wants me to select an account to import.

How should I have done this?

Thanks,

D

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:01 AM

15 replies

Dec 15, 2017 2:20 PM in response to Detti

See this old thread posted by me with diagrams Mail.app not working. Need to backup before reinstalling.

And about column B

User uploaded file

And , now the question is switched you don't want to transfer mails from one machine to the another , rather want to mirror/ sync mails ( so that you can see mails simultaneously in both machines ) .

if you sign with same webmail address and password or iCloud account address and password , I don't think so " specially " for mails syncing would be hundred percent successful .

Jan 27, 2018 10:48 AM in response to tygb

May I ask a question here?

I'm in a similar situation except my mail is POP not IMAP. I manage 25+ different POP mail accounts and have a decade's worth of nested "local mailboxes" with saved mail. I'd like to move is all over from an old Mac running Mountain Lion to a brand new one running High Sierra (haven't turned it on yet!)

I don't want to Migrate because Migration doesn't allow you to only migrate mail, but forces you to migrate everything from that chosen User Account. (it would be SO great if Apple added that function!)

I'd be happy to try Import/Export Mail if it will indeed import everything back where it is, nested where its supposed to be, but I don't know if it does this?

I'm also concerned that once I recreate each mail account, it will start trying to download millions of emails sitting on the servers (which will be duplicates of what I'm trying to move). We only have 5-8MB of internet speed and this would take forever.

Ergo I'd love if I could either move the entire Mail, accounts, settings and local nested mailboxes (to me they're folders) and have them appear as they currently are when launching Mail for the first time on the new High Sierra Mac.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2017 8:50 AM in response to tygb

Yes, I want to transfer mails from one Mac to the other (from a MacBook to an iMac). (And of course I want to keep the mails on the MacBook).

Since the OS is the same on both I thought if I copy the above files/folders then it would work like a clone but it seems like it's not that easy.

Dec 15, 2017 9:29 AM in response to Detti

Transfer mail data from one machine to another .

Take back up of all mails in V 5 folder : Method to copy mails in V 5 folder .

Click on Go on top menu bar , hold option key click on > library > select mail folder > right click on mail folder there itself > click on copy mail > right click on extreme right hand side in column B , that is below persistence info.plist > click on paste item .

Entire mails are copied to V 5 folder .

Note : For Mac OS High Sierra the folder will be V 5 , For Mac OS Sierra the folder will be V4 , For El Capitan - the folder will be V 3 , and for OSX Yosemite the folder will be V2

Take a USB stick and copy V 5 folder into it , once it is copied right click on the USB stick and eject it .

Insert the USB stick in the second machine .

Configure new IMAP account in another machine , go to top menu bar , file > import mail boxes > import data from > select apple mail > click on continue > select the back drop folder then choose new .

When new IMAP account is opened , a new folder with all mails will appear in the mail side bar .You can rename the folder .

And if you want to keep a copy of all mails , in the above method mails are copied and pasted , they were dragged into usb stick , you can drag and drop V5 folder to the desktop and save it .

Note : If you directly drag and drop V5 folder from user library ( without copying and pasting ) to the desktop , if you click on finder click on recents ( the recents folder will be flooded with files ) , so don't do this mistake .

Dec 15, 2017 9:47 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you. I don't want to believe that this is the way to do it. I have multiple accounts, numerous mailboxes and thousands of emails. Apple can't be serious that I should reorganize thousands of emails from one import mailbox.

Both OS are the same. If I copied all files and preferences the "new" Mail should work and act like the "old" one.

Dec 15, 2017 9:52 AM in response to tygb

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by column B for example.

I don't want to configure any new IMAP account.

I don't want to keep a copy of the V5 folder on my desktop.

I have a Macbook, I bought an iMac. I want the Mail on my iMac to look like the Mail on my Macbook, with all folders, accounts, emails.

migrate Mac Mail V5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.