Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to shuffle by album in ios

iTunes 12.7.2.58

iOS 11.2.1

In iTunes I shuffle play whole albums at a time, meaning I set it to pick albums randomly, so it goes right through the tracks on the album, in order, then picks another album at random, and goes through that in order. A lot of my music is classical and I don't want to shuffle play by tracks. Even with jazz and rock, I like to hear the whole album and not have style and mood change with every song.

This is easy to do in iTunes by putting all my music into a playlist, then using the Controls menu > Shuffle > Albums.

I just got myself an iPhone X, transferred all my music to it, and find that the Music app picks tracks at random, not albums. The Shuffle Albums setting has not carried over from iTunes, and I haven't been able to find how to set it.

If I select Albums, then shuffle, it plays a track from the middle of an album, then plays a random track from another album, which is not what you want when listening to classical music.

If I select Playlists, then the playlist 'Music for random album play' that I set up, it does the same thing.

How can I make it play whole albums, one after another in random order?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2018 10:19 PM

The Foobar2000 music player app available in the App Store respects albums and supports 'Shuffle Albums'. It is a competent, comfortable and convenient music player with full Gain Management and many other useful features. It will work with your iTunes library as well as many other music file formats (via iTunes App File Folders). At time of writing it is free.

I hope that this is helpful.

I am not associated with the developer in any way - just a very satisfied user.

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2018 10:19 PM in response to RoyGrubb

The Foobar2000 music player app available in the App Store respects albums and supports 'Shuffle Albums'. It is a competent, comfortable and convenient music player with full Gain Management and many other useful features. It will work with your iTunes library as well as many other music file formats (via iTunes App File Folders). At time of writing it is free.

I hope that this is helpful.

I am not associated with the developer in any way - just a very satisfied user.

Regards.

How to shuffle by album in ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.