Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on infinite 10.13.2 update

I am entirely frustrated with macOS right now. I updated to 10.13.2 (I checked on About This Mac), but it keeps asking me to upgrade to the same version. When I hit update, it reboots, updates for half an hour and the entry is still there on AppStore.

How can I fix this without reinstalling macOS?

How did I come to this state?

I do have automated updates disabled. However, I got a notification for the new 10.13.2 update. I clicked it away, as I was not home and I didn't plug my laptop into the wall. So I clicked on "try again in an hour" and forgot about it.

When I was below 5% with battery left, I just closed my laptop and went. When I then booted it up, it told me that OSInstall.mpkg is missing. Already completely upset I got it to boot into my not updated machine by removing the os install directory and updated again.

Not only did this cost me more than 2 hours of work but also, if I wouldn't have been a little bit tech affine, I would have lost the whole day of work. This is so frustrating, so if anyone from Apple reads this, GET YOUR DEVELOPERS BACK ON MACOS!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 10:38 AM

Hi Butterbrei,

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. update has been a disaster for many of us... It took me two days to find a way around it! It is either couldn't install and when we eventually managed to install it, it created a lot of issues, such a slow system, crash finder, system freeze, spotlight issues...

Luckily there is a way around it! Anyway try this:

• Reboot with the option key and get out of the macOS install drive and restart with your normal Mac drive
  • Check on App Store update if the 10.13.2 update has been installed
  • If not and the update is not present on the available update download then download the combo update 10.13.2
  • 10.13.2 Combo Update
  • Make sure you have a full backup, ideally time machine, as if there is anything going wrong it is the safest way to reinstall it from the recovery!
  • Update

Once done, I would suggest to install 10.13.3 beta, this update has resolved a lot of issues, but you need to take part to the Apple Beta Program, here is what you need to do:

Subscribe to Apple Beta:

Apple Beta Software Program

AppleConnect Sign In

enroll your Mac

Download Feedback Assistant:

Feedback Assistant

Do another backup with Time Machine:

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Once done then go to App Store and update the above mentioned update!

Doing the above steps will stabilize your OS

Let me know if it was helpful and more importantly, in a later stage if you have resolved this issue, as it seems that there are a high volume of issue with the 10.13.2 update, and it would be important to inform other users of a way to resolve it!

Good luck!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 10:38 AM in response to butterbrei

Hi Butterbrei,

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. update has been a disaster for many of us... It took me two days to find a way around it! It is either couldn't install and when we eventually managed to install it, it created a lot of issues, such a slow system, crash finder, system freeze, spotlight issues...

Luckily there is a way around it! Anyway try this:

• Reboot with the option key and get out of the macOS install drive and restart with your normal Mac drive
  • Check on App Store update if the 10.13.2 update has been installed
  • If not and the update is not present on the available update download then download the combo update 10.13.2
  • 10.13.2 Combo Update
  • Make sure you have a full backup, ideally time machine, as if there is anything going wrong it is the safest way to reinstall it from the recovery!
  • Update

Once done, I would suggest to install 10.13.3 beta, this update has resolved a lot of issues, but you need to take part to the Apple Beta Program, here is what you need to do:

Subscribe to Apple Beta:

Apple Beta Software Program

AppleConnect Sign In

enroll your Mac

Download Feedback Assistant:

Feedback Assistant

Do another backup with Time Machine:

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Once done then go to App Store and update the above mentioned update!

Doing the above steps will stabilize your OS

Let me know if it was helpful and more importantly, in a later stage if you have resolved this issue, as it seems that there are a high volume of issue with the 10.13.2 update, and it would be important to inform other users of a way to resolve it!

Good luck!

Dec 15, 2017 10:52 AM in response to butterbrei

Lol 😁 I've spend two days figuring out what the **** was going wrong and how to go around it...

When I decided to try looking at the beta updates, as often a following beta update work as a patch to the previous update... It worked magic all my High Sierra issues, slow system, spotlight, system freeze... disappeared... Let me know then if it resolved your issue!

Also a helpful trick, download etrecheck, it is a system report application it is very useful gives you quite a lot of information and can be used to pinpoint macOS issues, it very much used on support communities! Let me know if helpful!

Good luck...

Stuck on infinite 10.13.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.