Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete users

I created two accounts on my MBP running High Sierra. Both were set with Parental Controls. I no longer need them and want to delete them but cannot do so.

If I use the "Users & Groups" pane from System Preferences select one of the accounts the "-" needed to delete that account is ghosted out so can't be selected (yes I am admin and yes I clicked the unlock and no the account is not logged in).

If I run the dscl command this fails with a permission error:

sudo /usr/bin/dscl . -delete "/Users/student"

Password:

<main> delete status: eDSPermissionError

<dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14120 (eDSPermissionError)

If I run the Directory Utility command, click the Directory Editor tab, then select the account and hit the "-" at the bottom it shows no reaction in the UI but there is an entry in the Console. But the error is bogus as this is not the last FileVault capable user (nor was it the first one created):

Couldn't delete record "student" of type "dsRecTypeStandard:Users": Error Domain=com.apple.OpenDirectory Code=4001 "Attempting to delete the last FileVault capable user" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Attempting to delete the last FileVault capable user, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Operation was denied because the current credentials do not have the appropriate privileges.}

At a loss for how to get rid of these accounts. I can delete the home directories manually. What I'm looking for is to avoid them showing up on the login screen at all. I tried setting the shell for one of them to false but that only hides it from view when the MBP is already running. It still shows up on a reboot. Any solutions appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 8:16 AM

Network accounts are setup from a Server running macOS Server or Windows Server. So, those need to be deleted from the Server not the local machine.

I just tried a test and setup a test account as Managed and was able to delete it after setting it up. But then I didn't setup all the different tabs for Managed.

What happens if you uncheck the Managed checkbox for those users or you can't because they're greyed out?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 8:16 AM in response to Ron Guest

Network accounts are setup from a Server running macOS Server or Windows Server. So, those need to be deleted from the Server not the local machine.

I just tried a test and setup a test account as Managed and was able to delete it after setting it up. But then I didn't setup all the different tabs for Managed.

What happens if you uncheck the Managed checkbox for those users or you can't because they're greyed out?

Dec 15, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Ron Guest

I don't know what else to do. You're doing exactly what I would do but not with the results I get.

Since you're the Admin and you have unlocked the Padlock, I can't see why you can't delete those users.

EDIT: Do the two accounts say Managed underneath the user name? And you set these to Managed With Parental Controls instead of Standard, right? Both ways, I'm able to create and delete the account. I didn't log in with the account, I just used System Preferences to add/delete it.

Unable to delete users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.