Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AI Photos search not working in High Sierra 10.13.2

Yesterday, I upgraded to 10.13.2 and now find that the image content search which was working no longer works. So, if I type in the Photos search bar "dog" say, no images are found whereas before the upgrade, a subset of photos with dog photos would be displayed even if they were not tagged textually.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix for this?

MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8), G4 MDD 1.25GHz

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:19 PM

I have a mid-2015 iMac upgraded to 10.13.2 and just tried a few searches (dog, tree, car) and they all worked fine. Sorry I know it doesn't solve your issue, but it would see it is a library issue. Have you tried doing a library repair on the Mac with the issue? Hold Option and Command to initiate the repair of the library.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 3:19 PM in response to iPreferMac

I have a mid-2015 iMac upgraded to 10.13.2 and just tried a few searches (dog, tree, car) and they all worked fine. Sorry I know it doesn't solve your issue, but it would see it is a library issue. Have you tried doing a library repair on the Mac with the issue? Hold Option and Command to initiate the repair of the library.

Dec 22, 2017 9:20 AM in response to iPreferMac

I think I've solved my problem. MacOS Photos has one Photos system library, the one that is used for iCloud sharing etc. After the upgrade to High Sierra, I found I had two Photos libraries though I had never created a second one. I found a procedure to assign the Photos systemslibrary and applied it to one of the libraries. The AI content search has now made considerable progress since I did this. Initially, no content was found using a search for "tower" but after a few hours, 33 hits were returned.

Dec 16, 2017 7:31 AM in response to LarryHN

After 24 hrs, still no image content search, other than 1 return when I search for water. The Activity monitor shows a process called "photoanalysisd" which though resident in memory, is not using much processor time. It is not running in the background, apparently even when Photos is open. Certainly my MacPro did not display tardiness in implementing the content-aware search.

I think I'll try rebuilding the image library.

Dec 18, 2017 4:14 PM in response to iPreferMac

I seem to have been premature in my optimism. The search facility has made no progress in being able to categorise photos by content after the initial false dawn! My MacPro had no issues with the search, it works well and I did not notice any period when it was scanning my library to build its catalogue.

I rebuilt my library for second time quit, restarted but no result.

So, I'm still looking for help with this issue.

Dec 22, 2017 10:43 AM in response to iPreferMac

I have this problem too but it wasn't because of updating or having more than one system Photo Library. I just went to search for a Category photo (car, cat, dog) and it finds nothing. On my iPhone it works. On my Mac it used to work but doesn't now.

High Sierra 10.13.2

Photos 3.0 (3251.12.190)

I want it to re-index without delete and retrieve from iCloud Photo Library.

Jan 6, 2018 7:56 AM in response to Olek_german

(repeating my previous reply) After I deleted my Photos Library and created a new one, it took iCloud a few hours (perhaps it was overnight, I don't remember), to put everything back. Category search worked again after that.

I don't know how exactly it got corrupted in the first place. I was messing around with another Photos Library file on an external backup hard drive and that probably was it.

Conclusion: fixing this (Category search) requires rebuilding your Photos Library (system photo library) from scratch. Of course, you will need iCloud Photo to restore your photos. Patience alone won't do anything if yours is corrupted.

AI Photos search not working in High Sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.