Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Bricked while updating, must use Apple Cable to update?

I have an iPhone X, as the title says, and it backs up and syncs fine, but when it comes to updating the software on the phone, it seems the system gets bricked, or in an endless loop of getting messages like this:

Your phone can't be updated: etc, etc, etc...

I have put the phone into recovery mode, yet when I try it on two Macs I have they all say this: iPhone has timed out

Yet it is the only product plugged into my Mac at the time.

The only thing that is not "apple made" is the cable that connects it to the computer, yet, yet... it syncs and backs-up everything correctly, without fail or issue. Including charging the iPhone, so I know it can transfer data and power without issue.

So what is the issue here? Can anyone give me some hints or help how to resolve this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5; 16 GB Ram.

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:57 AM

It is a helpful response. You need help. You have manufacturers warranty. Apple will help you. Did you think I was going to get in my car and drive over to fix whatever is wrong on your phone? If the link which I provided doesn't offer a solution for you, I can't fix whatever is wrong. Call Apple or live with a bricked phone. Your choice.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Cyberpawz

It is a helpful response. You need help. You have manufacturers warranty. Apple will help you. Did you think I was going to get in my car and drive over to fix whatever is wrong on your phone? If the link which I provided doesn't offer a solution for you, I can't fix whatever is wrong. Call Apple or live with a bricked phone. Your choice.

Dec 15, 2017 7:49 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Sorry, but I was pretty clear about what steps I've already taken in the OP. When I get people that post comments like you did originally, I feel like I am talking to Comcast, in where they hear "I need help" but all they can do is follow a script.

Third paragraph down in the OP I specifically stated:

I have put the phone into recovery mode, yet when I try it on two Macs I have they all say this: iPhone has timed out

iPhone X Bricked while updating, must use Apple Cable to update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.