Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotmail Contacts on Sierra

I'm helping an elderly friend who has a 6 month old MacBook Air running 10.12.6. She also has an iPad and an iPhone. She has almost no contacts on the Air but the iPad & iPhone have lots and are in sync. I've discovered that the iPad and iPhone have both Hotmail and iCloud set to sync Contacts but the Air does not have the sync option for contacts on the Hotmail account - just Mail and Notes. How do I set the Air to sync contacts using Hotmail? If we look on icloud.com, only the contacts from the Air are there even though the mobile devices are set to sync through iCloud too. It seems Hotmail sync is preventing iCloud sync. I assume it would be sensible to allow only one service to perform the sync.

Secondly, if we get all contacts on all machines, is it possible to keep them while turning off Hotmail sync and turning on iCloud on all devices? (I suppose I could export them as an archive on the Air then import them afterwards.)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:36 PM

To sync contacts using Hotmail, you would need to add the account to System Preference/Internet Accounts.

Are the iCloud contacts different on the devices than what is at iCloud.com? If contacts on the devices include mixed from both sources, you may not be able to tell.

Your idea of exporting contacts before disconnecting syncing would be the safest thing to do. I would export them as vCards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:36 PM in response to macfan7

To sync contacts using Hotmail, you would need to add the account to System Preference/Internet Accounts.

Are the iCloud contacts different on the devices than what is at iCloud.com? If contacts on the devices include mixed from both sources, you may not be able to tell.

Your idea of exporting contacts before disconnecting syncing would be the safest thing to do. I would export them as vCards.

Dec 15, 2017 1:40 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric

The Hotmail account already exists on the Air - do you mean I can add contacts sync from Internet Accounts? I feel sure I looked there and it only showed Mail & Notes. Or do you mean I should delete the account then add it again?

The iCloud contacts match the Air - easy to see as there can't be more than 20 - but I haven't checked to see if those 20 are also on the iPad/iPhone. If they are, it could be that they're on Hotmail.

Export as vCards - better than Contacts Archive?

Dec 15, 2017 5:58 PM in response to macfan7

You are welcome. If the account is there, there is no need to delete it and add it back. I'm not familiar with Hotmail, so I don't think I should suggest anything else because I would be guessing, which might lead to problems.

I've always used vCards and have been successful in restoring them. That is why I suggested that format.

Hotmail Contacts on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.