Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Is there any difference between a Series 1(1st Gen) and a Series 1(2nd Gen) after-market digitizer?

Hello All,

Recently the LCD screen of my Apple Watch Series 1(2nd Gen) got broken somehow. I asked for a LCD replacement to Apple with a service charge but they said it is only possible to replace the whole watch with a fee. The fee is almost a new one’s price in online shop. So I decided to buy a new one. But I don’t want to just throw away my old watch. I want to replace the entire digitizer assembly with an after-market one from ebay. I seen the sellers are sometime saying that the digitizer is not applicable for Series 1(2nd Gen).

So, I want to know, is there any difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 digitizer assembly hardware? How to detect which is one for 2nd Gen watch? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Anirbanx

Posted on

Dec 16, 2017 3:51 AM in response to amigora In response to amigora

Hi

Apple advises that you should not open or attempt to repair Apple Watch yourself:

Important safety information

Apple does not offer a screen repair or screen replacement service for Apple Watch or sell spare parts for the watch.

Your watch will instead need to be replaced. It may be eligible for replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service or via AppleCare+, if previously purchased.

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to establish your available service options:

Service pricing for the US, for example, is detailed here:

Apple Watch Service Pricing - Apple Support

In the meantime, note that Apple advises that you should not continue using (or trying to use) a damaged Apple Watch.

Dec 16, 2017 3:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 16, 2017 7:21 AM in response to Jonathan UK In response to Jonathan UK

Hello Jonathan

Thanks for your answer.

As you can see in my question that I know already whatever you suggested. I just asked if there is any difference between a Series 1 (1st Gen) and Series 1(2nd Gen) digitizer assembly?

The replacement price, what Apple is offering, is really high for a replacement. So I am buying another new one, because the price difference between the replacement price and a new one is quite small. So it would be great if you can answer specifically my question.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Anirban

Dec 16, 2017 7:21 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: amigora

Question: Is there any difference between a Series 1(1st Gen) and a Series 1(2nd Gen) after-market digitizer?