Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a good anti-virus for my Imac

Recently my checking and savings account was compromised and the Bank Representative said that I need an Anti virus for my IMAC in order to access my the accounts in my Family Trust.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 7.1

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 9:19 AM

13 replies

Dec 15, 2017 9:26 AM in response to creole1990

The findings on this forum are AV products for mac cause problems from inoperability to outright system crashes, but no real benefits to security.

There are no OS X virus found in the wild at this time to be discovered by any credible securities lab in the world who's job it is to find these threats. You bank rep and their collective securities department are uninformed of the consequences of suggesting mac users follow their ill advised suggestions.

Keep OS X and iOS patched from Apple, this is the single best software solution to on line security for Apple products.

Dec 15, 2017 9:33 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

"you bank rep is an idiot"

True. How do that all get the idea that AV apps are needed everywhere.

Someone at my bank once called me and told me I had to install some AV crap. When he didn't seem to understand NO!, I called the manager and told him that if the bank had a problem with me not installing it I would be transferring my account to the bank across the street. That was the last I even heard about installing any AV crap on my Mac.

Dec 15, 2017 11:09 AM in response to creole1990

creole1990 wrote:

Recently my checking and savings account was compromised and the Bank Representative said that I need an Anti virus for my IMAC in order to access my the accounts in my Family Trust.

There are many ways your accounts could be compromised. Malware on your Mac is probably not the top most likely possibility. The records of some place you used your debit card or information stolen from Experian are much more likely places to start looking.

What is a good anti-virus for my Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.