Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Date & Time

Hi,

When I insert the Date & Time in a cell, it only puts in the Long Date (Friday, December 15, 2017). How do I make it add the short date (12/15/2017)? I have set the default to the entire column to the short date but the Insert command still adds the Long Date.

Thanks for the help.

macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:26 PM

When inserting date-time I use this 'Today' Automator Service (Dropbox download). It doesn't require a double-click in the cell and seems to respect cell formatting better. For example it works well with cells you have formatted as dd/mm/yyyy.

To install double-click downloaded .workflow package and give permission at System Preferences > Security & Privacy. System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Also make sure 'Automator.app' is checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

Thereafter to use just choose Today from the Numbers > Services menu. Or you can attach a keyboard shortcut.

SG

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:26 PM in response to mah44

When inserting date-time I use this 'Today' Automator Service (Dropbox download). It doesn't require a double-click in the cell and seems to respect cell formatting better. For example it works well with cells you have formatted as dd/mm/yyyy.

To install double-click downloaded .workflow package and give permission at System Preferences > Security & Privacy. System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Also make sure 'Automator.app' is checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.

Thereafter to use just choose Today from the Numbers > Services menu. Or you can attach a keyboard shortcut.

SG

Dec 15, 2017 11:46 AM in response to mah44

You are right indeed.

If you take it one click further — after the date has been inserted — you can change the format out of the suggested formats.

"Insert —> Date & Time" has its own procedure apparently.

If you do not like this procedure you might consider preformatting the cells with the desired format and then filling in the dates. I know this works.

Paul.

Date & Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.