Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will i lose my settings when updating from Sierra 10.12.1 to 10.12.6 ?

will i lose my settings when updating from Sierra 10.12.1 to 10.12.6,

what do I need to know?

iMac with Retina 5K display

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 10:35 AM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2017 10:57 AM in response to recobe

recobe wrote:

will i lose my settings when updating from Sierra 10.12.1 to 10.12.6,

what do I need to know?

Generally speaking no, but in my experience there may be some preferences which may be inadvertently changed by the update.

What settings are you concerned about losing?

You do have a backup, don't you?

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 12:09 PM in response to recobe

recobe,

When I was using macOS Sierra, I didn't have any problems with updating to a newer version, nor did I experience any problems with the features that you mention.

About the security content of macOS Sierra 10.12.6, Security Update 2017-003 El Capitan, and Security Update 2017-003 Yo… details the reasons which I would consider to be an important consideration in updating to the most recent version of any operating system.

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 11:58 AM in response to Ferd II

... when purchased this new iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch from Apple, Apple tech's had to help 'fix' a few things that were NOT working including:

- Ability to use cross hair/screen shots, cntrl+shift+4 (which I use religiously.)

- Text app, and other apps 'Open recent' files NOT showing. (which I also use religiously.)

- iCloud kept dominating my file saving options, etc.

- and the tech did a 'remote update/reinstall', which wiped ALL my preference settings I had already set up, i.e., Safari bookmarks, email address book, some software, lose of general visual settings, etc...

This is why I am leary to do 'just' a OS version update to 12.12.6.

Yes, I have Time machine backups on peripheral drive.

thanks for your help.

will i lose my settings when updating from Sierra 10.12.1 to 10.12.6 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.