Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: FCPX 10.4 Canon C300 long clips not joining together

Hi all,

Since updating to FCP X 10.4, I've noticed that when I import footage shot on a Canon C300 (mk1), long interview clips now appear as several separate clips, each of about 5 minutes and 15 seconds.

I've checked with a couple of other cameras, and long clips recorded on those are still shown as long clips.

Presumably, Final Cut 10.4 update has introduced a problem with recognising takes that span more than one clip length from the Canon C300's MPEG-2 codec.

Has anyone else has this problem? And is there anything I can do to recombine them, other transcoding in another application before I import?

Thanks for your help

Henry

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Dec 29, 2017 8:57 AM in response to henryrichards In response to henryrichards

Hi Henry-

I am having the same problem. Current project I shot in the 35MB format which I did for the first time. My clips are being split at the 7:22 mark. I went to another machine running FCPX 10.3.4 and it imports normally- no splitting of media. I submitted a Feedback on the FCPX section of the website. You can submit one too and hopefully they will notice. Feedback - Final Cut Pro - Apple

If you don't have a machine running 10.3.4- you could add all the clips to the time line and make a "combined clip" or you could all clips to time line then export prores 422 (yes hassle and more space) . Or if you do have a machine with 10.3.4 import the clips and then transfer project and update project to your mac with 10.4 on it.

With the holidays going on -it will probably be a bit before they update.

thanks

Michael

Dec 29, 2017 8:57 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 2, 2018 12:50 PM in response to Michael Shivers In response to Michael Shivers

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've been dumping all the C300 interview clips on a timeline and turning them into a compound clip. It works fine as a stop gap measure.

I've also explained the problem in the FCP feedback form, so hopefully Apple will fix this in the next minor update.

All the best,

Henry

Jan 2, 2018 12:50 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: henryrichards

Question: FCPX 10.4 Canon C300 long clips not joining together