Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

?'s on moving within a sheet, etc.

Hello.

1. Can anyone tell me how to scroll right and left in Numbers 3.6.2 (on a Macbook Pro) using a shortcut? The official Help information gives shortcuts for scrolling up and down multiple rows (a "page") in a sheet, but not multiple columns right and left. There's got to be a better way of moving to a far right column than just right arrowing over one column at a time.

2. The official Help info. describes the shortcuts for scrolling up and down a page with the phrases "Page Up" and "Page Down." But there is no Page key on my Macbook. Huh? From the internet I see that I can get it done by using the fn key and arrowing up and down. So is the fn key the "Page" key? (The person who wrote the documentation should have been specific about using the fn key - but I digress.) FYI: on my Macbook holding the fn key down and arrowing right and left moves the page view up and down. Hmm. One would expect this action to move the page view left and right.

3. Can anyone tell me how to do a subject search just within the Numbers Community? It would be more straightforward if I could do this.

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:51 PM

Hi r'

Scroll bar preferences can be set in System Preferences > General.

The image is from OS 10 v10.11.6

User uploaded file

"Jump to the next Page" moves the window to the next 'page' on the screen when you click anywhere in the space above or below the vertical scroll bar at the right of the document window, or you click in the space to left or right of the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the document window. Jump to the spot that's clicked moves window to the same location (proportionally) as the location on the scroll bar space which you clicked.

Arrow Keys: Pressing an arrow key moves the focus one cell in the direction of the arrow.

Press and hold the arrow to move focus several cells in that direction. (On a fifty column table, I was able to move from column A to column AX (50) in just under 6 seconds, and back to A in less than that.)

Press command-right arrow to move immediately to the last (rightmost) column in the active Table. Works also for command-left arrow, command-right arrow and command-down arrow.

ASC Search: Use the "Search" link at the top right of the page (not the magnifier in the black bar above it) to take you to a search page. Look down the left sidebar of that page to find "Search where" and enter Numbers for Mac", then enter your search term. "page up" (without the quotes) brought up one of my earlier posts on a similar question as the first hit: Re: where is the page up key on the bluetooth keyboard

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 4:51 PM in response to rprescot

Hi r'

Scroll bar preferences can be set in System Preferences > General.

The image is from OS 10 v10.11.6

User uploaded file

"Jump to the next Page" moves the window to the next 'page' on the screen when you click anywhere in the space above or below the vertical scroll bar at the right of the document window, or you click in the space to left or right of the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the document window. Jump to the spot that's clicked moves window to the same location (proportionally) as the location on the scroll bar space which you clicked.

Arrow Keys: Pressing an arrow key moves the focus one cell in the direction of the arrow.

Press and hold the arrow to move focus several cells in that direction. (On a fifty column table, I was able to move from column A to column AX (50) in just under 6 seconds, and back to A in less than that.)

Press command-right arrow to move immediately to the last (rightmost) column in the active Table. Works also for command-left arrow, command-right arrow and command-down arrow.

ASC Search: Use the "Search" link at the top right of the page (not the magnifier in the black bar above it) to take you to a search page. Look down the left sidebar of that page to find "Search where" and enter Numbers for Mac", then enter your search term. "page up" (without the quotes) brought up one of my earlier posts on a similar question as the first hit: Re: where is the page up key on the bluetooth keyboard

Regards,

Barry

Dec 15, 2017 3:10 PM in response to SGIII

Thank you, SHIII, but not helpful.

1. I am only using the trackpad; I should have put that in my OP.

2. The Sheet doesn’t have many columns. Currently there are only a few unseen columns to the right of the visible area of the Sheet. You are correct that as I use more columns the problem (of not being able to move quickly left and right) will get worse.

Dec 15, 2017 7:53 PM in response to rprescot

rprescot wrote:

There's got to be a better way of moving to a far right column than just right arrowing over one column at a time.

As posted above, I tend to use the trackpad as it's so fast and convenient.

But if you want to use your keyboard to navigate to the far right column just hold down the <command> key and hit the right arrow. If you want to use your keyboard to go to the far left column just hold down the <command> key and hit the left arrow.

Often just a little experimentation in Numbers will reveal in a few seconds surprisingly convenient ways to do things that it would take much more time to find in Help, which tends to be terse.

Hope this helps.

SG

Dec 15, 2017 7:53 PM in response to Barry

Thanks! I feel “dumb” for not sussing out holding the arrow key down (vs. just clicking it.)

Clicking in the open area of scroll bar works great too. (It seems obvious now.)

I duplicated your search so that’s good too. One thing: on the left sidebar I get it says “Restrict results by” and under that the search term is entered in the “Place” box.

Dec 15, 2017 8:03 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks again, esp. for the <command> arrow technique for getting to the extremes of the Sheet.

On using the trackpad: on my device using two fingers to move about the Sheet is ”sticky” or “slow” sometimes. That’s why I was unhappy with it. You can’t adjust the speed at which the screen moves from what I can tell. The “Tracking Speed” slider under Point and Click in System Preferences-Trackpad only affects the cursor.

?'s on moving within a sheet, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.