Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small dent on MacBook Pro 13" 2017 after just two months

Hi,

after my whole life in the "Windows world", two months ago I decided to buy my first Macbook (a 13" model with Touch Bar, A1706).

I have always kept it in safe places and put it into a sleeve to protect it when it is my bag. Unfortunately, today a small dent appeared on the upper edge of the chassis (on the top of the monitor). Maybe, while it was in my bag, it took some hits.

I would like to ask you whether there can be a solution to repair it somehow (without spending a huge amount of money).

By the way, I am very upset about this. I have owned laptops of many different brands (Acer, Asus, Microsoft, MSI) and it has NEVER happened that the chassis got ruined (and after such a small period of time!).

I seriously think that this will be my first and last Macbook (the material have evidently a very poor quality if they can be bent so easily) and, if anyone asks me, I will also suggest NOT to buy a Macbook, because I will show mine as a very bad example of how poor the manufacture is.

P.s. Sorry for my English. I am not a native English-speaker.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), iOS 11.2.1, Dent, Poor quality

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 11:01 AM

2 replies

Dec 18, 2017 4:23 PM in response to rose_10

Well, it's not necessarily poor manufacturing. It's made of metal and quite frankly, metal dents. To my knowledge most laptops are made of plastic which bends slightly when it gets hit and returns to its normal shape when the pressure is removed. (Bend any hard piece of plastic slightly and watch it return to normal - metal won't do that).

As for the price of repair, you'd likely have to get the entire chassis of the MacBook replaced. I'm unaware of any place where you could "buff" out the dents somehow unless there's some third-party service somewhere, someplace. - Apple probably won't do that, they'll just make you get it replaced (AppleCare does not cover dents).

To get a better estimate if the chassis needs to be replaced, you could bring it in to an Apple Genius Bar for a free evaluation:

Contact Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Small dent on MacBook Pro 13" 2017 after just two months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.