Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sprint iPhone x. Apple store purchase. ?unlocked

I bought a Sprint iPhone x 64gb from a friend. He purchased a Sprint iphone x from the apple store (he gave me the receipt). Paid in full. According to the apple website all iPhone x models are unlocked. The phone was still sealed and never used. I opened the box and placed my Tmobile SIM in the phone, however the phone would not activate. The message indicated it is the incorrect carrier sim. What is the best solution here? Do I need to put in an activated Sprint sim to activate then it will be unlocked to use on any carrier? Sprint has to do something to the phone? Apple can help?

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:19 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2017 12:28 PM in response to amitfromnb

Sprint is more complicated than other carriers. First of all, you cannot insert an activate Sprint sim--it does not work that way.

If you want to have the phone unlocked you will need to activate it on Sprint and request an unlock in accordance with its policy (50 days).

At the moment Sprint is offering a year of free service and you might be able to accomplish the unlock that way at very modest cost. There are other approaches that might work with Sprint but there is less certainty.

Unlocking your Sprint device

However, by far the best option, would be to return the phone and get the model you want.

Sprint iPhone x. Apple store purchase. ?unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.