Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPad - police can’t help

My youngest son lost a 1st/2nd gen iPad after dropping it in October. Yesterday I received a message to say it had been found. I loaded up the tracker on my iPhone and can see that the iPad is at a specific home address just 0.8km away.

I went to the police to ask them to retrieve it but they say that they cannot get a warrant without a receipt or something with the serial number showing that I’m the owner. I bought it so long ago I don’t have this. They would also want to keep my own iPhone with the tracker app so that they can track the iPad.

I tried to explain to them that I wouldn’t be able to track it if it wasn’t mine, offered them screenshots etc. not sure where I stand with this, I’m in Dublin, Ireland.

If I cannot get it back is there a way for me to remotely ‘brick’ it so that it cannot be used at all?

It’s not the value of the item as it’s old now but it has old family photos on it that weren’t backed up, wed hate to lose them

Thanks for any advice

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:43 PM

Golden_blunder wrote:

I’ve already locked it and put it into lost mode. I could erase it but that means I don’t get my photos back and some dishonest person gets to use a freshly reset iPad.

No. A remote erase will wipe it, and you will no longer get any tracking information from it. But, as long as that device is listed under your find my iPhone listed devices in your account at www.icloud.com, then activation lock remains in effect. Nobody but you can ever activate and use that device again as only you know the AppleID password required for activation.

So you can remote erase it if you want. Just don’t delete it from your listed devices in your iCloud account.

If your photos are in iCloud Photo Library, they all sync back to your next device. Or if in your iCloud backup, you can restore them by restoring that backup to a new device (a backup includes photos in the camera roll folder).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:43 PM in response to Golden_blunder

Golden_blunder wrote:

I’ve already locked it and put it into lost mode. I could erase it but that means I don’t get my photos back and some dishonest person gets to use a freshly reset iPad.

No. A remote erase will wipe it, and you will no longer get any tracking information from it. But, as long as that device is listed under your find my iPhone listed devices in your account at www.icloud.com, then activation lock remains in effect. Nobody but you can ever activate and use that device again as only you know the AppleID password required for activation.

So you can remote erase it if you want. Just don’t delete it from your listed devices in your iCloud account.

If your photos are in iCloud Photo Library, they all sync back to your next device. Or if in your iCloud backup, you can restore them by restoring that backup to a new device (a backup includes photos in the camera roll folder).

Lost iPad - police can’t help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.