Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.4, another crashing issue

On the whole 10.4 performs well, at least I've not noticed a performance drop while I'm playing back clips or generally editing.

But...

If I drag a title into the timeline, on occasion I get the spinning wheel of death and have to crash out. Reloading brings the project back up and at most I have to redo the last edit. No biggie under normal circumstances, however as this project uses a lot of text overlays, I'm crashing out and restarting FCPX every 20 minutes or so. Rebooting the machine makes no difference.

FCPX 10.3.4 on my old iMac does not have this issue, neither fix that version have this issue on my MacBook Pro.

OS is the latest High Sierra build and all plug-ins are up to date. Quite frustrating to say the least. Once this is done, this machine will be going back to FCPX 10.3.4 until the next update is out. Shame because the colour correction works great

macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:55 PM

7 replies

Dec 26, 2017 6:52 AM in response to Malc7921

Hi, today one idea came to my mind which solved my problem.

As my project was originated in FCPX 10.3.3 and contains Motion titles and Generators also from the previous version of Motion, I decided to reopen all the Generators and Titles in the new version of Motion and re-save them.

Since I have done these changes, FCPX keeps on working without freezing.

Hope this helps You too ...

Jan 29, 2018 2:35 PM in response to Malc7921

I upgraded to FCP X 10.4 last week, and noticed that importing media (stills, audio and video) caused my Mac to slow down ridiculously. Strangely, this slowdown was not reflected in Activity Monitor - CPU activity was reported as low for all applications, until it indicated that FCP X was not responding.

Thinking that this could be a problem specific to Sierra, I upgraded to High Sierra, and the problem persists. After every media import I have to restart my Mac in order to continue working on the project in question.

FCPX 10.4, another crashing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.