Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow to respond

SYSTEM SETUP: CS6 in El Capitain. 4Ghz iMac I7 64gb RAM, 2 TB sad drive 500GB available. External 16TB Hardware RAID 0 (3TB available). Photoshop user for 20 years. I had current setup for 1 year with no issues until now.

3 days ago my iMac started getting painfully slow for no apparent reason. I can't remember changing anything. Adobe Bridge has spinning ball before it reacts to any move. In Safari: entering a search term doesn't yield result until I've hit return multiple times. Key commands in photoshop don't immediately work. There's a lag time of 30 seconds before it registers the command. Every time I try to open a photoshop file, the rainbow spinning ball starts. and it takes about 2 minutes before photoshop even start opening the file.

• I tried resetting bridge and photoshop (restart with option+shift+command)

• I deinstalled all adobe applications and reinstalled them.

• used diskwarrior to rebuild directory, and repair permissions on all drives.

• Blackmagic disk speed tests gives me approx 300mb write speed and 2000mb/s read speed on the external RAID, but strangely it takes about 15sec for the program to begin testing and another 15 between read and write tests.

• I've run antivirus and "Malwarebytes"

• disconnecting External drives -> still slow

• switching keyboard

Any idea what might be going on here? what else to try?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:21 PM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2017 1:46 PM in response to safdwewwe

I've run antivirus

Uninstall it. Not needed. No viruses for OSX at this time. Anti-virus software can cause slowness on a Mac.

CLICKY CLICK---> EtreCheck & copy/paste your report.

”EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.”

Thank you for reporting the troubleshooting efforts you have previously tried. Very helpful to users trying to help.

User uploaded file

iMac slow to respond

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.