Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I force iMessage to use SMS minutes instead of data?

I have free texts but pay by the GB for data. Would much rather have iMessage use up text minutes instead of data.

Also, today I had difficulty sending iMessage (with photo) over wifi. I had to turn on my cell data to send it.

iMessage has no advantages for me, other than integration into iCloud, etc.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9, unlocked

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 5:45 PM

Basically, no. That's because iMessage and SMS text messages are based on different technologies. iMessages can use either Wi-Fi or your cellular provider's data plan to send/receive messages to other Apple devices. SMS, uses your cellular service provider's voice plan.

However, you can "force" the Messages app to send an SMS message when iMessage is not available via the "Send as SMS" option in Settings > Messages

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 5:45 PM in response to crabpaws

Basically, no. That's because iMessage and SMS text messages are based on different technologies. iMessages can use either Wi-Fi or your cellular provider's data plan to send/receive messages to other Apple devices. SMS, uses your cellular service provider's voice plan.

However, you can "force" the Messages app to send an SMS message when iMessage is not available via the "Send as SMS" option in Settings > Messages

How can I force iMessage to use SMS minutes instead of data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.