Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Places feature with world map

Hello,

some of you remember the good old days where apple was easy to use and actually developed helpful features.

It was possible to open the "places" view in the sidebar of iPhoto which showed a worldmap of all photos.

Now, it is not existing because of the ridicoulous change from iPhoto to "Fotos" (German).

In general there is a map but only for single pictures or events.

I need and want this world map overview due to many pictures which are distributed all over the globe.

Place advice. I am starting to hate apple as a 10year frequent and happy customer.

Regards Andreas

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 2:10 PM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 2:52 AM in response to Dont.remove.good.old.features

The best you can do is to click the "Places" in the sidebar, while in Photos view. This screenshot is from Photos 3.0 in High Sierra macOS 10.13.2

User uploaded file

It is not possible to show a trip half around the world on one map any longer. If we zoom out as far as possible, we can see roughly a quarter of the earth. I have sent feedback to Apple about this problem several times, because the missing world map it is taking the fun out of the maps feature, if we cannot show all places of one long distance trip on one map. This has been the case since Photos 1.0, and it started with Aperture 3.5.1 and iPhoto 9.5.1, when apple stopped to use Google's map servers. Since then, the maps do no longer show terrain data, and can no longer be expanded to show the whole earth.

It is slightly better in Photos 3.0. In Satellite View we can show half the globe, but still no world map. And if we zoom out to show the globe, the photos will be collapsed in large stacks, so that many places are missing.

User uploaded file

The thumbnails on the maps are occluding all details, and worse, we cannot choose the thumbnails. Photos does not even pick them from out favorites, but seems to prefer photos with people in them. On the map I would want to see my favorite photos of the landmarks, not some stranger talking a selfie in front of the landmark. I vastly preferred the pins on the map, that let us see the places labels.

Please send also feedback. Even if the feedback forms are only available in English, they will be read, if you fill them out in German. Apple - Photos - Feedback

Dec 16, 2017 3:18 AM in response to Dont.remove.good.old.features

Which version of iPhoto did you have installed? If you had iPhoto '11 and it is showing in your purchases history at the AppStore, you can simply install iPhoto 9.6.1 by downloading iPhoto to your new Mac. Use it to create your maps, until Apple will make it possible again to create a useful map from an album of photos.

I just tested again in iPhoto 9.6.1: The maps are also sadly cropped, but at least we can show pins instead of photo thumbnails. For example, for my trip to Chile, Antarctica, Easter Island, and Buenos Aires it is not possible to show the starting point Hamburg and the stop-over in Toronto. I would have to piece two maps together.

This is from iPhoto 9.6.1 running on High Sierra: In iPhoto 9.4.5 I could include Hamburg on the same map.

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2017 3:05 PM in response to Dont.remove.good.old.features

Use of Photos is totally optional - there are many other programs you can use including iPhoto 9.6.1 and Aperture 3.6 - no reason in the world to use software you hate (and no reason in the world to use hyperbole here - it makes it harder to help you, not easier)

and if you really want to do something positive tell Apple what you want - only they can add features and they have added many to date - Product Feedback - Apple

LN

Dec 15, 2017 9:50 PM in response to LarryHN

Well, as a reasonable person who spend 2000$ On a laptop I do have the expectation that the software (iPhoto) I’m using is maintenanced. Therefore you are quite urged to change.

The problem isn’t even that it is not available anymore, more the fact that there seems not to be a plug in to have that feature.

If you have THAT solution please tell me.

A solution “please raise this to apple the might change it” is... well... I don’t find the right English word :)

Places feature with world map

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.