Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.2 upgrade failure

My Mac mini keeps failing on the upgrade to 10.13.2. If I do a clean install, can I restore all my apps, documents and Virtual Machines (VMWare Fusion)? Or should I do a complete recovery from the time machine and run the upgrade again and hope it works? Any way to find out what is causing it to fail?

FWIW, I have upgraded it with a 750 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM and never had any issues until this update.

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:06 PM

Hi Crabby,

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. update has been a headache for many of us...

On my side either I couldn't install and when I eventually managed to install it, it was not with the App Store updates but with the combo update, maybe you should try this:

• Reboot with the option key and get out of the macOS install drive and restart with your normal Mac drive
  • Check on App Store update if the 10.13.2 update has been installed
  • If not and the update is not present on the available update download then download the combo update 10.13.2
  • 10.13.2 Combo Update
  • Make sure you have a full backup, ideally time machine, as if there is anything going wrong it is the safest way to reinstall it from the recovery!
  • Update

And maybe with a bit of luck half an hour you should be back on track...

Let me know if it worked...

Good luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 4:06 PM in response to Crabby_1

Hi Crabby,

macOS High Sierra 10.13.2. update has been a headache for many of us...

On my side either I couldn't install and when I eventually managed to install it, it was not with the App Store updates but with the combo update, maybe you should try this:

• Reboot with the option key and get out of the macOS install drive and restart with your normal Mac drive
  • Check on App Store update if the 10.13.2 update has been installed
  • If not and the update is not present on the available update download then download the combo update 10.13.2
  • 10.13.2 Combo Update
  • Make sure you have a full backup, ideally time machine, as if there is anything going wrong it is the safest way to reinstall it from the recovery!
  • Update

And maybe with a bit of luck half an hour you should be back on track...

Let me know if it worked...

Good luck!

Dec 15, 2017 6:00 PM in response to Crabby_1

Any way to find out what is causing it to fail?

The only practicable way is to revert your system to a known supported configuration. Samsung SSDs (for example) are notoriously problematic. SSDs from OWC / MacSales (for example) are known to work.

Apple does not support replacing a Mini's internal storage, and 16 GB may not be a supported configuration. To determine the memory specifications for your particular model, please refer to the Memory Upgrade Instructions in About This Mac > Memory.

Or should I do a complete recovery from the time machine and run the upgrade again and hope it works?

Short of replacing the suspect components that's what I'd do.

10.13.2 upgrade failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.