Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an itunes library be duplicated, or copied from one hard

Goodwife and I each have macbook running 10.13.2. I have the family music collection digitized on a remote hard drive. Until itunes began acting up I was able to plug in the hard drive and listen to the contents through itunes. Then the seagate drive was unplugged while the drive light was on and that, apparently, rendered all the data useless. While they were busy trying to sell me $500. software recovery I ran out and bought a WD hard drive and re-copied about 400 cd's. Everything was still OK; I could still play music over itunes. Then I tried to copy the collection (comprised in the Music folder which is within the Itunes Media folder, to a second remote hard drive; this was to A: back up the library to a safe place and B: allow goodwife to use it to play for herself. That is where the troubles began.

I will wait to see whether anyone can enlighten me before I waste any more electrons...

Thanks! JG

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.3), Dvorak typist, needs Qwerty to inte

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 6:04 PM

7 replies

Dec 18, 2017 2:11 PM in response to juang54

Having read through a few of your threads that focus back to these MacBook/Pro

portable model computers and their upgrade issues with High Sierra 10.3.x some

of these problems may go back to the user accounts and ownership permissions.

All calendar entries obliterated with 13.2 upgrade

Also, the ASC section named Mac Pro is specifically to intel-based tower desktop

Mac computers; akin to the older PowerMac tower that used powerPC hardware.

{As to the iTunes Store, your access there invites you to log into there to view

history and adjust your account settings. If this direction helps the above Q.}

The realization of cause and effect where permissions, privileges, and the like, are

part of a main problem when music files or drives can no longer be shared or used.

These newer macOS also brought along aspects of higher security or different methods.

Hopefully your more recent threads in these discussions will also be addressed, in so

much as contributing causes are similar across these different questions. ~ I say this

due to curiosity, I had looked into your post history; to see which Mac model you have.

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Dec 20, 2017 4:01 AM in response to juang54

Depending on where and how you look for information, and if you can

discover a way to combine the issues you've had since upgrading to

High Sierra macOS 10.13.x then you could combine tactics to resolve

an issue that seems to have its fingers into all of your Shared content.

And your externally enclosed storage drives should be adequately able

to sustain your libraries; examples such as 'owc macsales' site has are

professional level, if one looks & the costs of backups doesn't scare.

To have more than one backup, including several of the entire macOS plus

additional bootable clone of full system, is a smart move. Are you invested?

IF you and your significant other are sharing an AppleID to use content

in this latest macOS, there may be issues due to how security has been

changed since, say macOS 10.10.5, or earlier.

iTunes - Official Apple Support

Back to iTunes. This has been evolving for some time.

iTunes for Mac: Use Multiple iTunes Libraries:

You can have more than one iTunes library. For example, you could have a library of holiday

music that wouldn’t appear in iTunes the rest of the year. Or you could keep your music in a

library on your computer and your movies in a library on an external storage device.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19508?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

How will a Family Apple Music plan affect my personal iTunes Library?

(a discussions question-with-answers, that may affect your iTunes issues)

• iTunes for Mac: Use Home Sharing to import items from another iTunes library

• Apple Support articles:

About iTunes library files

Manage your iTunes Store account

Usage rights for iTunes Store purchases

Did you have Issues under previous older Mac OS and sought an upgrade Fix?

..Usually it's ill-advised to attempt an upgrade to try & resolve an OS issue..

[I've only had a few dozen dozen Mac computers from about 1985 to 2012

models; most not new, and learned how to repair hardware & re-install OS.]

These newer macOS, where everything is based on internet archive to restore

leaves me to wonder. ~ Only IF the internet were treated like a utility, to rely on.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Dec 16, 2017 4:57 PM in response to munkymajik

Thank you! And forgive me for being obscure. Neither of the disk utilities were able to treat the "unplugged" seagate drive, nor, of course, was the "free" software from seagate, so I spent the 12-17? hours to re-load the Royal Library into itunes. This time it was stored on the Western Digital drive (which, in case anybody is keeping score, is WAY faster than the seagate). So far, so good. Curiously, however, what was lost had measured some 380 gb on the seagate drive. After I downloaded each and every CD a second time the "take" was something around 80 gb. Same amount of music, different size! I first tried simply dragging and dropping the itunes media folder to goodwife's remote hard drive, in hopes of replicating the collection AND providing her access to all that music. No dice. What I got was an "alias" which would not perform. I then tried moving just the "music" file which is nested within "itunes media". I got the copy, but was never able to direct itunes to it (via Preferences/Advanced/Change itunes library/ etc. Right about here I begin to have trouble with apple's documentation...

Dec 16, 2017 5:01 PM in response to Abob

Thank you! Itunes account? What that is? Itunes is a program which I found bundled with this mac. I do have an icloud account; in fact apple held me up for it recently with the new upgrade. I have never purchased anything through itunes, nor do I have any plans to do so-why the account? I do not sign in anywhere to open and use itunes, though they are now pestering me for a password. ??? I would like to hope that this lead might bu useful, but I have troubles with itunes which have nothing to do with any accounts.

Dec 19, 2017 5:46 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you, K Shaffer. I wish I knew what you were talking about, I'm sure it would benefit me. It was something like 35 years ago; I was immersed in an Amiga and my brother was graduating RIT and was on ibm- whatever that was called...and he observed that in his opinion, which he shared with others- it should not be a matter of us trying to learn to use the machine, but rather of the machine learning to deal with us. Apple fails this in SPADES and I think it is mostly due to whomever writes the HELP files. Not a one of (the ones I keep referring to) them has changed these three years-though the OS has changed, what... five times? Furthermore the help index is clearly written by folks who know ALL ABOUT the OS and could do anything in their sleep, because they built it. That does not always help the poor slob like myself who is simply trying to do a thing which was advertised as possible in the sales literature.

I now have three itunes libraries- not because I want them, but because I was trying to follow the instructions on how to "duplicate" or "copy" an itunes library to another place. I have itunes media files embedded within Music folders which are nested within other itunes libraries!!! Confused? You can't be more confused than I am, and all I was doing was following (what I thought were) directions!

In the meantime: apple will or will not figure out that their documentation is sadly lacking, and I will be left with the shoddy results of deficient documentation.

Cheers and safe trails, or whatever...

JG

Can an itunes library be duplicated, or copied from one hard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.