Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac mini asks a password for every thing why

After I upgraded to a mac high sierra it asks for a password for anything I need to do open.save documents, delete anything etc. any idea why?

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:18 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2017 4:50 PM in response to gabrielefromrochester

Sounds like you have a permissions problem.

I'm assuming you're working with documents inside your user folder?

If so, in Finder, open your disk to the root directory, eg. MacOS/Macintosh HD/High Sierra, whatever you have named it by double clicking the disk icon on your Desktop. Then double-click the Users folder. Then right-click once on your username's folder and Get Info, or normal click once and Command-i.

Then at the bottom of the window that pops up there are permissions. Click the little padlock once and enter your password.

Make sure that your username has read/write permission, you can change it by holding the mouse down when clicking on the permissions next to your username, change it to read/write.

Then click the little gear icon at the bottom of the window and select "Apply to enclosed items".

My Mac mini asks a password for every thing why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.