Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting external SSD to APFS

I have an external SSD with High Sierra formatted to HFS-journaled made by cloning (using CCC) my internal SSD with High Sierra and APFS. I was told that if I booted up from the external SSD in recovery mode I could use Disk Utilities to convert to APFS. However that option is greyed out. I also booted up in recovery from my internal SSD and the external SSD choice to convert to APFS is also greyed out. Why is that? (I have no reason the convert my external SSD to APFS just investigating the process.)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 4:58 PM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2017 5:11 AM in response to tbirdvet

There is another thread of someone trying to do similar, although the drive has Sierra on it. I thought maybe that was the issue, but if you can't convert yours with High Sierra, I'm not sure.

Are you selecting the "Macintosh HD" to convert? In my searching I ran across an article that indicated you must select the Volume, not the drive.

Converting external SSD to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.