Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking my Apple ID makes the machine not wake from sleep

So I have a new 2017 MacBook Pro 15 (max config). I have been troubleshooting an odd issue where the machine will not wake from sleep. It doesn't matter if I close the lid to sleep, tell it to sleep form the menu or let it idle to sleep. It will not wake up. The keyboard lights come on, the touch bar comes one but the screen stays off and the keyboard/touch bar do not respond to input. The machine will intern start getting hot, fans come on full blast, the whole 9 yards. I have to hold the power button to get it back up.

So! I started troubleshooting, nothing in the logs that I could find, I cleared the pram and SMC. I clean built the OS on 10.13.2 and I also tried the beta 10.13.3. Same problem. Then I clean built the OS again and started preparing it to a trip to apple so I had zero data or config on it. In case the whole machine gets swapped.

Thats when I noticed the problem was gone. Being the kind of person I am, I then started configuring the machine as I would normally, but 1 step at a time, testing the sleep/wakeup inbetween. I started with Touch ID, no wake up problems. I then enabled Filevault with a reboot, no wake up problems. Then I added my Apple ID to System Preference > iCloud.. boom instantly the problem is back, it will NOT wake from sleep. Every time I let it sleep.

BTW: I do not have this problem on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15.

How in the heck could adding an Apple ID cause this problem? Weird right? I think the next step is I will start disabling one iCloud feature and a time and see if the issue goes away. I will follow up when I complete that part. For now, its a weekend, I'm going home with my working 2015 🙂

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 1:54 PM

So just thru troubleshooting various things I had turned 2FA on and off a few times on my dummy account and the problem went away. I then logged out of my temp Apple ID and in with my main and the machine is working as expected now. I never turned off 2FA on my main account. The machine seems to be sleeping and waking just fine now.

So, issued resolved, I hope this helps anyone else that run across this odd bug.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 1:54 PM in response to SuperScott6

So just thru troubleshooting various things I had turned 2FA on and off a few times on my dummy account and the problem went away. I then logged out of my temp Apple ID and in with my main and the machine is working as expected now. I never turned off 2FA on my main account. The machine seems to be sleeping and waking just fine now.

So, issued resolved, I hope this helps anyone else that run across this odd bug.

Linking my Apple ID makes the machine not wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.